Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dub soundsystems and mixing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dub soundsystems and mixing
    Posted: 09 March 2016 at 11:30pm
Just quick straw poll and I'm after some opinions

When it comes to selection, how many soundmen on here mix or play single deck style? And what do you prefer to hear?

I'm just starting out and what I've found with mixing is that it does force your hand regarding selection if you want all the transitions to be smooth.
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 7:37pm
In nearly 20years I've never seen/heard a 'Dub' sound mix in a tune/double decks. 
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
wiz247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 8:22pm
Disco & house I mix, for roots/dub definitely not for me, I'm in a different zone. However with the digi dub style, if a guy know his sh!t and got skills, I can see how he/she could possibly make it work.
duppy conqueror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duppy conqueror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 10:08am
my opinion is that roots should be started from top.. not mixed
 I come from a mixing background, but I'm not mixing anymore. maybe I'm getting old
sometimes I beatmix little in the prelistening on the headphone but always release from top
m0gsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2016 at 7:31pm
Hey Guys thanks for the comments. I've seen systems that mix dub for example Mungo's Hifi

Might have to give single deck style a go. Do you guys often cut tunes short or let them play out?
matt mcginn hi fi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt mcginn hi fi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2016 at 10:14pm
i got into reggae through hip hop and even though mixing is in my blood and that doesn't mean i'm any goodEmbarrassed, and i will be using two decks. I will be flipping for the version and playing from the top every time as the reaction to those first few notes can get lost....not to say i won't play a few cuts on a riddim in quick succession but some tunes should only ever from be played from the top!
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2016 at 12:10pm
I must admit I like blank spaces (some seconds) between tunes when going to a session, with no music. not only silence but just a delay fading/ some siren or blip blops / some MCing / singing.
I find that a moment of brief calm make the incoming tune hit stronger ! like many here i find  the beginning of monster tunes is a thing that can't be missed (and why play somthing else than killer tunes lol). Also how do you do when mixing to flip a tune and the version? (either it be on the flip side or the next track for 10/12 inches).
Another thing is : if you pull up the tune, it breaks your mix, how do you handle that? And also I like to break the tempo sometimes, i.e. play slow tunes after fast tunes or the other way around, I assume it's more complicated when mixing.
 Also for other genres (I'm thinking of repetitive electronic gernes here) many tunes are made to be mixed, with a very loooong intro / outro, that is not the case for reggae
 Post Reply Post Reply