Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About to splash my cash, is this wise ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to splash my cash, is this wise ?
    Posted: 04 April 2016 at 3:22pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to get started on building my first proper rig. I used to run a suicide rig off car amps and computer PSUs. I've built a 15" scoop and I'm pretty good with my hands.

I've been lurking on here for a fair few years now and I've changed my mind many many times.

I love folded horns and if size wasn't a problem four Startec SBH would be lovely! I love the scoops, especially hogs, the SPL is insane.

I'm pretty settled on two X1s (void loaded) and four ES18BPH (either void or pd186 loaded) with SMT212 as tops.

I'm hoping to run them as follows:

Proline 3000 (thomann) - 30 - 80 - X1
Proline 3000 - 80 - 160 - ES18BPH
4 channel amp (or two QSC bi-amped)  - 160 - 20khz - SMT212 or similar
Berry Ultradrive DCX2496  

I have so far.... 2x beyma cd10fe and a berry crossover

I listen to a wide range of genres but reflex don't really do it for me.

Any words of wisdom or reasons to stop me spending £800 on Proline 3000 a DCX2496 and some cables before i spunk it ??

My girlfriend's keen and wants a sound system that Kicks like a mule and drops like an essex girl after one to many WKDs. 

m0gsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0gsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 3:31pm
The exchange rate! If you're buying new.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 5:51pm
hello there :-)
two things id say ... one is a suggestion ones actualy a request for potentialy unrelated help judging by your user name LOL!
1] id personaly reconsider the es18... they arnt bad cabs at all i just think theres better sounding out there for that job tbh id prefer a 15" proper horn [ie not band pass assisted] say for example the selenium 1502b1 but maybe made as singles instead of doubles more just a thought tbh overall system sounds like it could work realy well tbh

2] your user name suggests you build stringed tuned instruments? any good at fixing bridge mounting points? got an issue with a semi home made guitar that i paid someone to fit the locking trem on and they shall we say politely made a mess of the threading so now when you put strings on the bridge comes flying off causing damage to anything in its way........ can i pm you for some advice? LOL!
either way your plan sounds sound in principle :-) 
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:01pm
Had a look at the selenium design, definetly worth considering. I was also recently looking at the XTRO, I read somewhere on here about design based on it; the spl graph looked great! Also it wasn't quite as monstrous as the coffin bin. 

In regards to the name, yes I do build instruments, mainly electric guitars and the odd electric ukulele more than happy to give some advice.

Sorry for the late reply I've just moved house and I've had no internet.  
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 11:34pm
I would suggest different crossover points, 2 X1s would not be enough to cover 30/80hz vs the 4 ES18, you can put crossover point lower like 60hz and just use the X1s for the very low end, and around 140-150hz for the ES18, they dont sound that good higher up
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:09am
Turbosound 115 kicks are worth a look at, plans are on here somewhere. I had a load with pd154's in them and they sounded better than hd's. Es18's will work but a well designed 15" kick will work better in the band width above x1's. Cubo 18 extended may be an option. Probably a little more versitile than the x1, loaded with pd1850's they sing given a decent supply. A forum member is also selling 4 selelium tops for peanuts, cheaper than the materials..

Edited by boots-hifi - 02 May 2016 at 12:11am
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:32am
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
Birchply View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birchply Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:37pm
For amps : have a look at Citronic PL 3800. Rated 1K9 per chan into 4R . Bridged 3K8 into 8R. I ran two 4R 18NLW9601 in series ( 8R ) in bridge mode with 40Hz and then 50Hz sine and measured 210 volts (at just below clip LED) with a decent digital volt meter (they are calibrated to read AC volts accurately at mains frequency). In single chan mode into one driver ( 4R ) I measured 96 volts. In both tests the voltage rail did not sag. P = V squared over R. Look on the web : the price fluctuates a lot. The amps have been used in anger to run 8R per chan Faital Pro 15HP1030 1000w Tham Tapped Horn and 8R per chan Beyma 12" 112ND/W 700w reflex with no issues. 
 Post Reply Post Reply