Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camping Djing out of my car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping Djing out of my car
    Posted: 07 April 2016 at 9:23pm
I'm going camping soon and wanted to play some music.  My XDJ R1 user manual says it uses 28w, I have a couple LED rope lights that I'm not sure about, but probably don't use much power(all using an inverter), and I'm connecting a speaker to a 150 watt JL Audio monoblock car amp.

My Jeep has a 140 amp alternator, but I don't know how many amps it idles at, though.  I plan on leaving the jeep idling while playing music, do I need to worry about killing the battery or anything else?  How long will the battery last before I need to worry if the Alternator can't keep up?  I feel like I'd be fine with power to spare, but wanted to ask first.  Seems like every time I think an idea is OK I have 3 people telling me I'm going to kill something.

Thanks!
Thomas Hosker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomas Hosker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 9:32pm
It depends on the load but id imagine youll be fine at idle, i think youll see about 14v and 35ish amps. maybe more depending on the efficiency(or lack of) of the converter etc

WWW.T8Audio.Com
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 10:18pm
You will see about 14.5V when charging on a typical alternator. It is extremely unlikely to near impossible that you will run out of power whilst idling. If you are really worried just take a spare battery.

Don't bother with an inverter for the rope lights. Just buy some dirt cheap 12V LED strips and connect directly to battery.

crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 1:50am
Thanks for the replies and the good news!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 2:55pm
Why not hook up a small solar panel to keep some charge going into the battery?
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 5:14pm
If he's taking lights, I doubt there's going to be much sunlight at the time...
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 5:58pm
Maybe not but it'll still top up the battery during daylight hours.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 9:00pm
when you say camping.......
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply