Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

beyond repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beyond repair?
    Posted: 09 April 2016 at 1:33pm

as per title.. :(

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 5:34pm
I would say so.

Think car body repair, once the metal has stretched, you will never get it perfect again.

Did someone poke their finger down the horn?

I did see a website where the guy made his own Ribbon tweeter. Very carefully, on a wet glass sheet, he cut foil into 1mm strips, and then backed it with some form of milar film. Let the two get stuck, and he presto, one ribbon diaphragm. He then had a PCB ribbon header attached to each "winding", and linked bottom to top, outside the mag field, to create the long ribbon circuit.

A normal ribbon doesn't have the multi "windings", but they have to use a transformer to convert the impedance to something a traditional amp can handle. This multi-winding version, effectively increase the total length of the conductor, to something approaching 4-8 ohm, so direct drive.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 5:38pm
http://www.gaedtke.name/lautsprecher/ribbon-i-bandchen-lautsprecher-selbst-gebaut

Not the site I was thinking of, but a great resource for building your own massive ribbons.

Your diaphragm looks to have multiple "ribbons" attached to a common backing, so similar, but not the same. The trick is to get the top of one single winding, attached to the bottom of the next. If you had the even ribbons flowing current top to bottom, and the odd ones flowing bottom to top (easy to wire), you would get no movement, or rips, as the even windings would move one way, whilst the odd windings would go in the opposite direction, for the same applied signal.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 9:57pm
A circuitboard house can make that part.

You need a military board house that makes multi-layer boards.

(my job involves 14-layer boards)

Edited by _djk_ - 09 April 2016 at 9:58pm
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply