Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Powered 3-way Horn Loaded PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ungelovene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Powered 3-way Horn Loaded PA
    Posted: 17 April 2016 at 10:53am
Some friends and i intend to build a battery powered PA-system before summer. The system needs to be battery powered because it will be used outdoors and we intend to bring it to the Roskilde festival, where diesel generators are forbidden.

Our main concerns are output and sound quality, but the size of the individual cabinets should be no larger than what two persons may easily carry for longer distances. The music we play will mainly be jungle, grime, dub and garage. We hope to play for crowds of about 50-100 people.

With the system running on a limited supply of energy, efficiency of design is paramount, therefore i believe a tri-amped fully horn loaded system with an active crossover is the way to go. Ideally i would like the system to reach 30 hz, but i am aware that range in the lowest octaves is always at the cost of efficiency, therefore maybe 50 or 80 hz would be a better goal?

From what i have read the tapped horn looks like a very promising design that achieves higher low-frequency efficiency than any other i have seen. Mutual coupling also seems like a good way to achieve higher efficiency. What confuses me is that almost every TH-design i have seen uses compliance controlled high x-max low sensitivity drivers. I understand that this is beneficial when trying to reach the very lowest frequencies, but doesn't using these kinds of drivers negate the increased efficiency of the tapped horn? Would it be possible to design a TH around a mass controlled driver with higher efficiency but lower x-max? Also, are there any other high efficiency sub designs i should be considering? Are there any TH-designs that are generally considered to be superior?

For mid and top i am still quite clueless, so any and all suggestions are welcome

For amplification i gather that class-d tripath is the way to go when efficiency is important. If there are other ways to do this i am indeed interested.

I greatly appreciate any response or suggestions you may have 

Edited by ungelovene - 17 April 2016 at 10:53am
Twintub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twintub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2016 at 1:02am
Nice to see more horns on the 12v thread. Just finished a 2 way system in which the bass horn doubles as a wheelbarrow. Top horn and electrical gubbins can stash in the horn mouth for transport. Bass horn is rear loaded (like scoop bins) to allow some mids to radiate from the front of the drivers but if I did it again would go 3 way perhaps with a unity horn on top. Sorry can't help with the horn theory as I tend to wing this but I've been surprised at the results in the melodic bass range. MUCH louder than a closed box. Look forward to seeing this one.
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2016 at 9:40am
Originally posted by ungelovene ungelovene wrote:

Our main concerns are output and sound quality, but the size of the individual cabinets should be no larger than what two persons may easily carry for longer distances.  We hope to play for crowds of about 50-100 people.

You would probably be best of buying a wagon to transport your equipment, and consider using a 15" reflex setup for your mids in stead of a horn, wider coverage and less weight than a mid horn.
0r if you want to blast away your neighbors you could get a pair of TMS4s Big smile
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 6:46am
Have a look at what Coco Poco Loco have used for a festival in Aus. 

A pair of the Syntrips over 2 x XOC1 Tapped horns. It sounded awesome for a 4 box set up ! The subs were loaded with B&C SW115s though which would require too much power out of a battery system. I would keep the Syntripps and use a pair of Keystone tapped horn subs loaded with a higher efficiency driver as you suggest.

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply