Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive crossover design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:02pm
Thanks.

The speaker was tested from 200Hz, but looking at the signal response it actually rolls in at about 150 (http://www.tymphany.com/peerless/driver-search-results/driver-detail/?id=1079). I was hoping to reinforce and extend that with enclosure design. With a sealed enclosure I would just replicate the tested results. My problem, which I'm all too aware of, is a very limited volume.

The audio source is full range, recorded with professional equipment, so the only limitations are the output devices.

My thoughts, crazy as they are, would be to use this unit to reproduce frequencies up to somewhere between 500-1000Hz and then roll in a similar but separate driver for up to 20kHz. Don't worry, I know this is insane overkill for what is a scale model, but I'm already pushing boundaries with design so why not audio and electrical performance too?

Cheers
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:16pm
It'll produce sound under 200Hz sure, no driver has a brickwall response. But depending on where its resonance is the excursion under that point for a given power level compared to above it will be large, = dead driver with much less power than its quoted rating. So that all depends on how you plan to drive it. Measure a units impedance over the audio bandwidth to figure out where resonance is. Very easy to do with an external soundcard and one resistor + REW.

As it is rated to perform to 20KHz why do you want to put another tweeter above it? Simple is your friend when designing. Surely if it is just reproducing machine noises anyway the bandwidth required is going to be quite limited. Nothing higher than a few KHz I would imagine? If you must have another driver I am sure there are plenty of small dome HiFi tweeters that would fit the bill. Again you can often go lower than their suggested bandwith, if you are easy with the drive signal.
Modeller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2017 at 3:54pm
Thanks, that's very sound advice.

I'll do some testing when the samples arrive next week. Before I commit to an injection-moulded enclosure I'll be playing with some high density 3D printed prototypes. I've got a couple different designs planned, but I am very open to having one suggested. I'll even send you the prototype unit once it's been tested. A genuine offer for someone with a flair for small design challenges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345