Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cd horn eq

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sounds4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cd horn eq
    Posted: 25 April 2016 at 11:46am

Hi all

I have recently bought 4 JBL JRX112 which is in a very good condition except for the drivers. I have 4 b&c de250 and 4 beyma sm112 that would be put into this cab. these will be used on poles/stands above 18" bass reflex cabs. I will use the horn that comes with this cab though.

I heard about cd horn eq but not sure what it is all about. do I need to add this to this cab as I will be using a dcx2496 as well. what settings will I need to do on the dcx?

amps will be crown mt1200 ( I know old amps but this what I have)

regards
Mike
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 4:05pm
Are you planning to use the JBL passive crossovers with the non JBL drivers or will the cabs be biamped with no passive crossover?

In either case you are essentially starting from scratch in terms of processing, be sure to use a crossover frequency no lower than stock(1.8khz) as that is most likely the low cutoff for the horn. CD horn EQ boosts high frequencies in an effort to restore some of the losses that occur from spreading the drivers output over wider area.. that is what a CD horn does. JBL calls this horn a "Progressive Transition™ high frequency waveguide" which could be another name for a Constant Directivity horn but I don't know.. you will have to measure it to know for sure. And that is key, you will have to measure these cabs to know what EQ and time alignment to use for best results.

Edited by Conanski - 25 April 2016 at 4:12pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 8:47pm
I've got a pair of JRX115 cabs that I ditched the JBL HF from... and the LF for that matter. The 2412 in the 112 and 115 is garbage. I had a pair of 2416 drivers from JBL M330 cabs lying around and dropped them in using the x-over and they sounded sweet... er. The LF got changed to Emmy Delta 15LF btw. The LF is 4Ω and the HF is 16Ω and run straight from a PPX1200. Never missed a beat.
I was gonna change to bi-amp but haven't bothered. Used them for FOH for really small gigs, vocal only and side monitors for DJ events.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply