Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reversing phase?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reversing phase?
    Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:04am
So, I've been pleased with my HD15's for a while but after a few gigs the fact that they have some sort of a rattle bugs the crap out of me.

It's a bit hard to explain,it sort of "square" and hollow sound when longer sounds are being played, the noise is more apparent at the back of the stack,the noise is not audible 1m in front of them.At first I tought the driver was not secured well, went ahead and put in t nuts on both the door and driver so now both are in place good and proper.Noise still there.Tried cutting them off at 120 with high pass at 70, no dice.

Now, I've been talking to another person who owns these boxes and told me they had the same problem and reversing polarity did it for them.

I will swing by the lockup tomorrow and check this solution out.Any other ideas?

Wadding is present on the two parallel sides,should I add more on the door?On the curved section?

thanks
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:37am
Reversing polarity should not make any difference if the box is rattling (loose panels/baffle), or the driver is rubbing - these are the two most likely causes of the issue.
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 1:38am
rubbing against what?

Do you mean the voice coil not being aligned?

Edited by tekcsedi - 26 April 2016 at 1:44am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 2:32am
Yes. It is also possible you have air leaks elsewhere if the noise is audible on the rear more than front.
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:42pm
Would it be possible that all that ruckus is caused by the connector, which is just a simple bare wire, plastic clamp?
When in use, i noticed that some amount of air is escaping there.When people say air tight, do they mean 100% or is just a bit of air escaping that detrimental to the sound?
Also,if this is causing all my problems,would an easy fix be applying sillicone to the back of the panel to prevent air from escaping?
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:45pm
yes, block that hole up
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:48pm
Hoping this will do it.Many thanks.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:52pm
Box needsto be absolutely air tight. Air leaks can dramatically increase excursion and kill drivers.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
tekcsedi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tekcsedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2016 at 8:59pm
I'm guessing a couple of missing screws on the back panel are also letting air out.
 Post Reply Post Reply