Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passive Vs Active for Mid/High

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmania23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passive Vs Active for Mid/High
    Posted: 27 April 2016 at 1:50pm
I'm struggling to grasp how I sort the crossover out for my mid/high

I looked at passive but seems I might struggle to get the right one and it may not actually be the best option as already have an active crossover.

What I don't understand is how to split the 12" diver and compression driver?

Will I need a separate amp for each or do I just wire them to the same speakon output and can use one amp?

If so how would I split frequency between the two?

Basic stuff, but if anyone can explain or point me in the direction of a diagram I'm sure i could pick it up quick enough.

Cheers!

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:11pm
start with an active crossover and run each speaker from a different amp channel.

once you have got a crossover point, slopes, and gains correct you can think about trying to design a passive network that does the same thing without the active crossover and multiple amp channels - there's lots of diagrams on google.
Bodmania23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodmania23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

start with an active crossover and run each speaker from a different amp channel.

once you have got a crossover point, slopes, and gains correct you can think about trying to design a passive network that does the same thing without the active crossover and multiple amp channels - there's lots of diagrams on google.

That's great, I was thinking of everything in bridged so didn't think of splitting the channels.

What I still don't understand is that I have a 12" driver and a compression driver in one speaker cabinet. How do I wire them internally? Do i have to have each driver wired to a separate speakon input (2 speakon overall)?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 4:25pm
use nl4 connectors and 4 core cable and either a split cable at the amp end, or a patch panel. plenty of chat about this on here and elsewhere. good times.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2016 at 4:50pm
If OP already has active, Y would you want to go (backwards) to passive?
Details of your setup now, type music to be played, & future plans (if any), please?
 Post Reply Post Reply