Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High current draw on maxamp20?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High current draw on maxamp20?
    Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:22pm
Hi!

I recently built a boominator with a Maxamp20 but im a bit confused with the power draw.

I haven't had the time to just test it to se how long i actualy plays for, but when im messuring with my multi-meter i get an idle current of 210mA and it stays like that for som 20% of the volume knob.
When i turn it upp i've seen draws of 2A with just the amp running, no leds or bluetooth or anything. 
Is this normal for this amp? I was under the impression that i drew far less, from what saturnus and other have said. 

I filmed it and uploaded it on youtube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZgzVsBCjPQ
I forgot to turn of the leds as you see in the beginning but i did turn them of halfway through as you can see.

Best regards
Sweex
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 1:49am
I don't see anything unusual. What you're seeing is the instantaneous current draw. You'll need an RMS measurement to the average current draw. 
Sweex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

I don't see anything unusual. What you're seeing is the instantaneous current draw. You'll need an RMS measurement to the average current draw. 

Hi!

I do somewhat understad the 2A draw in peaks, but isn't the idle/lowest volume draw a bit high att ~200mA?
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 9:34am
I ran one of mine off a DC power supply (10A) and got ~200mA draw, so don't think anything wrong here. When using cheap PSU amp meter I observed 5A+ peaks and the PSU got a little upset.
I now have a shunt and RMS meter to re-do the tests, but have not get got around to it yet (I want to see what the minidsp + 2 maxamps draws). Will see if I can do it in the next week, I have 3 Maxamps so should be able to see if all the same, obviously playing the same piece of music.

Dupe....

Dupe...
Sweex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 10:19am
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

I ran one of mine off a DC power supply (10A) and got ~200mA draw, so don't think anything wrong here. When using cheap PSU amp meter I observed 5A+ peaks and the PSU got a little upset.
I now have a shunt and RMS meter to re-do the tests, but have not get got around to it yet (I want to see what the minidsp + 2 maxamps draws). Will see if I can do it in the next week, I have 3 Maxamps so should be able to see if all the same, obviously playing the same piece of music.

Dupe....

oh okej, great! Then im happy! Got a faulty maxamp20 and the sent me a new one so I just wanted to make sure. 

Oh okej, im interested in the results so please come back here next week and update! 

cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply