Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what happens if i shorten the HD15?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what happens if i shorten the HD15?
    Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:27am
Hello people,

i'm about to build some four HD15 with a friend who has already built his', and i see on the plan that the side panels are popping out a few centimeters forward compared to where the curved part ends (see grey part):

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=874694HD15shorter.jpg -

I would be happy to shorten them by removing this part i put in grey on the above image, but is that gonna change the sound ? If so, in wich way ?

If shortening the curved part like this would happen to tune the cab a bit more towards higher frequencies, i'd be very fine with that, but i just don't really know what would happen if i do so...Confused

I've got another question also: if i make the curved part in 5 flat pieces instead of one curved piece, is that gonna change the cab response in its highest frequencies?

It's important to me because i'm planning to cross it with my F1 R2SH, so as high as 250 hz, and i read in another post in this section that the bandpass part of the HD15 is doing the lower frequencies, while the horn part is there to extend the response to higher frequencies...

Thx for your ideas Big smile

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:03pm
HD15 will never reach 250hz without severe honking.

5 part flare will not change the sound. Making the horn shorter won't make it play higher.

Perhaps look at mkh230 by Marc O, should play higher.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:11pm
+1 on that.
HD15 is a brutal kicking cab, but thats all its able to do imo. No Bass, no Low mids!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 8:21pm
the quest for low mids continues...
ultramars10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

Making the horn shorter won't make it play higher.

thx for your answers Smile

will it make any difference then if i make the horn shorter?
any cm less the box is taking does matter in my tiny van.... (VW T3 / T25)

Edited by ultramars10 - 18 May 2016 at 8:37pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:27pm
If you need to reach 250Hz, this is not the cab for you....

Personally I'd go for something like a 2x12" reflex on a deep V-baffle.  Have played with such things myself and you can get pretty decent kick but also usable up to 500Hz or so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:05am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

If you need to reach 250Hz, this is not the cab for you....

Personally I'd go for something like a 2x12" reflex on a deep V-baffle.  Have played with such things myself and you can get pretty decent kick but also usable up to 500Hz or so.

that i understood, thank you; by now i'm just wondering if i can cut the grey part to fit that speaker better in my van without screwing its sound characteristics....

Edited by ultramars10 - 19 May 2016 at 12:05am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:14am
Shortening it by that much and doing a multi-section approximation of the curve will make little if any noticeable difference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 12:48am
ok, will keep that in mind, thank you Smile
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:31pm
if you want propper 80-250 ish hz [ a bit higher is ok] and size isnt too much of an issue then sellenium hb1505c1 is my best suggestion well the coffin bin which is basicaly a better version actualy or the original 1505c1 i got a pair of doubles unloded i need to get my head into gear and sort actualy
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultramars10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:05am
thanx for the suggestion.
i believe the funktion one DS15 would do it very well as well.
i'm afraid they are both more difficult to build, but also to handle / work with, than the HD15.

i will make more measurements tomorrow about how the HD15 and also the TMS-3 kick bin can pair with my R2SH, and i will probably build a pair of HD15 and make a few parties with them, and only if it really doesn't work out, i will consider builing front loaded horns...

Edited by ultramars10 - 25 May 2016 at 1:06am
"If it sounds right, it's right" (Joe Meek)
 Post Reply Post Reply