Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt mixer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowattsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt mixer
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:32pm
Where can a 12volt mixer be purchased thanks in advance
MORE BASS LESS BEEF INCREASE THE PEACE !!!!!

my facebook page
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:32am
I use this in my 12V system! https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/302USB/p/P0ADV/Features

It works for my purpose. Its connected to this cigarette lighter adapter for cars etc. 

What are you planning to use it for?
"what!?"
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:15pm
PV6usb and PV8usb run on 15v but function with 12v
I need to test mine on both to see if the lower voltage influences sound
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 5:48pm
I will just say that I've modified a small Behringer mixer to run on low-voltage DC  - an old silver Euromixer of some sort - and frankly, it sucks. There's absolutely no life to the sound and it runs out of headroom very quickly. It does actually have space for 9v batteries in the bottom, which is why I thought it would be OK. However, it just sounds even WORSE if you use those! It doesn't get used often....It's basically just got a small virtual-ground circuit jammed in the bottom on a piece of veroboard, across which I apply battery voltage - the battery becomes the + and - rails, and the circuit generates a "ground" rail at exactly half that voltage. The opamps are perfectly happy to function with these voltages. But, they're not high enough really.

There are opamp chips out there optimised for use on low rails - some of them even have decent slew-rate and noise specs. But in any mixer that's designed to be powered from the mains, you are likely to just find TL072/NE5532/4558 type chips, and these do not perform well on less than 24v (12/0/-12) in my experience. You will get a mushy, unfocused sound that might appear to lack treble and have woolly bass (but really it's slew-rate limiting in the chips you can hear). 

Whereas the crossover boards in my amp packs, which run off a 0/+15/+30v set of rails and use OP275 opamps - sound very nice INDEED. So you can get there, if you go the right way. 

I drop the main 48v rail from the power amp to 30v using an LM317 variable regulator, and then split it in half with a virtual-ground circuit. This of course biases the crossover board "ground" up to +15v where it should be 0v, so I capacitor-couple the outputs using quite large values (a lot of mixers are already capacitor-coupled there anyway). 2.2uF will give a filter frequency of about 5Hz if you're driving a 10k impedance input. Although you could use a polarised electrolytic cap because there is a constant DC bias, I wouldn't recommend it.

Next step for me is to add some kind of funky connector to bring the 3-rail power out of the amp case, so I can use it for the Behringer. I'm not expecting miracles but it should stop sucking *quite* so hard ;)

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply