Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wharfedale Focus 18S/218S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

You should read some of the things he puts up. How much this new gear has taken him to the next level... He is Wharfdale mad, thinks he knows the fella as a mate and always gets a great deal...blah blah..lol.
Respect to him if true. Mr Wharfedale is a scary chap - That wrinkled forehead makes me double-take every time.
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

No pictures. The furtherest thing on my mind is taking a photo. 

Best Regards, 

Shame. Makes me wonder.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 7:51pm

The most important is the 1-watt/1-metre which is standard with all speakers. That is the figure you compare two different brands of full-range speakers to. The maximum SPL the manufacture states is subjected to the amount of power you can feed it. If the loudspeaker requires 1500 watts to attain 130 dB @ 1 metre and you cannot feed the loudspeaker 1500 watts, you are not going to get 130 dB.  

I have no idea how anyone estimates volume without using their ears. My ears have served me well for decades to give an estimate how loud the system should play during sound check. If you know your sound system, you will be able to know how many loudspeakers to bring based on the size of the venue to attain the proper coverage.  

Best Regards,  

Sorry Elliot but I think you're going a little bit off topic here, what you're talking about is a second step after completing the purchase of the aforementioned equipment.
You want to know this kind of details before you buy, if the 1-watt/1-metre data is advertised three times with three different numbers there is no way to find out the correct one other than measuring it yourself.

Ears are important, but you cannot invest money on something you have serious doubts about.
Bass =/= Enough
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Darkstar Darkstar wrote:

The most important is the 1-watt/1-metre which is standard with all speakers. That is the figure you compare two different brands of full-range speakers to. The maximum SPL the manufacture states is subjected to the amount of power you can feed it. If the loudspeaker requires 1500 watts to attain 130 dB @ 1 metre and you cannot feed the loudspeaker 1500 watts, you are not going to get 130 dB.  

I have no idea how anyone estimates volume without using their ears. My ears have served me well for decades to give an estimate how loud the system should play during sound check. If you know your sound system, you will be able to know how many loudspeakers to bring based on the size of the venue to attain the proper coverage.  

Best Regards,  

Sorry Elliot but I think you're going a little bit off topic here, what you're talking about is a second step after completing the purchase of the aforementioned equipment.
You want to know this kind of details before you buy, if the 1-watt/1-metre data is advertised three times with three different numbers there is no way to find out the correct one other than measuring it yourself.

Ears are important, but you cannot invest money on something you have serious doubts about.

Whether you buy the loudspeaker design from a manufacture or you build it your self the same thing applies. What is wrong with measuring the loudspeaker in order to find the answer whether you buy a design from a manufacture or if you designed it yourself?

Those who measure get the answers and are not perplexed with the three ratings stated from a loudspeaker manufacture. They are also not going to try to extract every bit of SPL from the least amount of speakers without taking distortion and power compression into factor.

If you are really interested in a loudspeaker system, you will either borrow or rent  two boxes and test it yourself. If the investment is that steep, that is what sound men do. 

Best Regards,  

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 August 2016 at 9:37pm
Elliot Thompson
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2016 at 11:38pm

No pictures. The furtherest thing on my mind is taking a photo. 

Best Regards, 

Hmmmmmmmmm
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:03pm
Back to subject, if you will allow me....

Did an install for a gospel style church, and budget was tight. Used the Wharfedale Pro SI-X range. Those specs are much more "real", and were a pleasure to use and install, and listen to after wards.

Old School efficiency, from both the SI-10X and SI-12X, meant we could use smaller amps (mid price Crown stuff), and the little SI-12BX, horn loaded sub, made quite a pleasing noise, and seemed to match with it's published specs. Run off a Soundcraft Si Performer 3, and controlled from Ultradrives, overall exceeded my expectations, and met the client's budget. No failures after 2+ years of hard work.

218s making 140+dB, smells a little fishy, however.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 12:52pm
No, Wharfdale do/did make some decent speakers, but from what I understand, management has changed.

And then we have BS like this on their site (from the EVP-X MKII page):

"The new series serves up to an extra 20% power handling and an additional 32dB SPL over the original EVP-X."

Again, doesn´t exactly generate confidence.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123