Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project outdoor sound system 200pers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontisex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project outdoor sound system 200pers
    Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:37pm
Hey fellows Smile

I'm starting a project that aims to build an outdoor sound system. 
I would like to be able to provide clear sound for roughly 100-200 pers. 
The music would be mainly trance, techno. 

I've been reading lot of forums, tutorial, threads and it appears that speakerplans.com has a nice community, reactive with people who have a real knowledge about acoustic Clap

I will expose first what caracteristics I choose and why, followed by the some questions : 

Speakers :
The set up would be split into 2 columns, each columns (or stack) would get :

- 4 MHB 4818 : Pretty easy to build, frequency answer is good and very linear from 50HZ to 100HZ so would be perfect for the kick. Limit would be 50HZ range (cut before50-55Hz and over 100HZ)
Speakers would be RCF LF18G401, good price, Xmax decent and adapted to the MHB 4818.

- Medium/Top : I'm still hesitating about this, was thinking to go for a 2 MT130 per column... I read on a forum that 1 MT130 for 2 or 3 MHB 4818 was enough ? 
Problem is I would have to limit the MHB to +/- 150Hz, requiring more efforts from the amp, so less punch ? 
Maybe a solution would be to get a medium and a top ?

Amplification part : 
T Amp proline 3000 seems to be the choice done by most of us, not to expensive and able to send 2x1500W (4Ohm). 
If my calculs are right, with 1 amp for 2 MHB, each of them would receive 700-750W. Regarding speakers which are 900W AES, it's a bit low but it's safe like that, W program of a RCF LF18G401 is 1800W so even if the amp is saturated, speakers wont get destroyed, is that right ? 

Annoying thing : I would have to buy 4 amps to power all the MHB... Is there any good alternative to this ? I read it was not that good to do 2 ohms set up except for some high quality and dedicated speakers, is that true and why ? 

One or 2 extra amps would be needed to power mid and top, since I didnt choose them yet, I didnt check for an amp.

Some questions : 
Is this kind of setup enough for 100-200 pers outdoor event ? 
How would you rate sound spreading with these MHB4818 ? 
Any safe set up that could avoid getting 4 amp ? 
Is the kind of speakers adapted to the kind of music I want to broadcast ?
What did I miss ? What additionnal questions should I ask ?
What about the proc to manage all this sytem ?

I know I didnt talk about money in the thread, global budget would be 10K roughly. 
8 RCF + 4 amp + 19mm marine plywood, 5k. Lot of accessories to buy to set the delay, wires etc.. 6-7k globally ?

Thanks to all the people who will take the time to read this and answer it, sorry for my engrish, I'm not english native... Wink

Regards
Ponti

(not sure about the section, I posted the same post in "Plans>New project", I trust moderator to delete the thread which is in the wrong category)

Edited by Pontisex - 29 May 2016 at 4:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply