Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4-way single piece stack?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-way single piece stack?
    Posted: 01 June 2016 at 3:10pm
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking the forums for ages and I think I've landed in what kind of system I want to build.
We don't have a lot of money so wanting to go as cheap as possible initially but still leave the system so we can upgrade it in the future without ending up with a mix-match of boxes. The system will be used for small parties, indoors and outdoors and will play dnb, dubstep, hip hop, reggae, dub and maybe some techno and house too. 
The end goal in a few years is to have a 4-piece 4-way stack with 4 scoops, 4 kick-bins and 2 tops with proper amplification.

My plan is to start by building 

MT101 for tops loaded with BMS 4554 in a 18-sound XT1464 horn and a single Eminence Kappa Pro 10A.
HD15 kick bin with PD154.
Super scooper with 18-sound 18LW2400.

For crossover I'm thinking a Samson S-3. In mono it does 4-way and it has a HPF at 25hz for the scoop. Ideally it should cutoff higher (38hz for single scoops according to the plan) but if it's a problem I guess I could daisy-chain it to another crossover just to highpass the scoops? Anyone got tips for a more suitable crossover if the S3 is a terrible choice? 

For amps I'm planning to buy a T.Amp TSA 4-1300. I know it isn't great for the scoop but it should run kicks and tops just fine? The plan is to buy a proline 3000 dedicated for scoops as the system grows, leaving the TSA 4-1300 for tops and kicks. I've a lot of good reviews on it and the price really is unbeatable. The second-hand market here in Sweden does get som lab amps occasionally but they often demand prices around 500EUR for a 2-channel amp and I don't feel comfortable spending that much on amps with no warranty. 

I know horns benefit from having multiple boxes and that single bins are not ideal. My question is how would a single scoop+kick compare to say a G-Sub? Would the horns be a lot worse? I wan't to start building horns and scoops from the start so I'm not stuck with a mix of reflex and horns later on. 

For wood I'm searching for many-laminate 18mm birch for the scoop but its hard to find here in Sweden, any of the Swedish heads have a good tip for supplier? How terrible is MDF if we plan on being really gently with the system, using it mainly indoors? 

Is this a stupid idea? How do single scoops and kicks sound? I would really appreciate any input from you lot, there's a lot of talent on here. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 3:16pm
get an ultradrive for crossover - you can run sub and kick off two channels and use the other four to run the tops in stereo.
efx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote efx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

get an ultradrive for crossover - you can run sub and kick off two channels and use the other four to run the tops in stereo.

Nice one, that's exactly what I needed. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply