Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why isn;t there 15" versions of dual 18's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Mircea Bartic Mircea Bartic wrote:

they are planar wave horns
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10958705_930277010316294_155234604153528167_o.jpg

Ok, so not straight FL reflex. Just what I thought, as it is more difficult to get (decent/optimum) low-end response that way.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Originally posted by Mircea Bartic Mircea Bartic wrote:

they are planar wave horns
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10958705_930277010316294_155234604153528167_o.jpg

Ok, so not straight FL reflex. Just what I thought, as it is more difficult to get (decent/optimum) low-end response that way.

Even in just a basic front loaded reflex design, with the right 15" and a good design you can hit 40Hz easily. For live music especially, many people prefer the punchy kick drum sound you get from a 15" sub. 

Getting much below that at high power levels becomes more of a challenge, and that's where big beefy 18"s with high x-max and power handling come into their own. 

k
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

many people prefer the punchy kick drum sound you get from a 15" sub.k

You've hit the nail on the head, for me at at least. What I think would be ideal would be a cab which can give an option of BOTH kick and sub so you can set it anywhere in between, does something like that exist?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 9:30pm
It's everything, not everythink!
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by mikehende mikehende wrote:

Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

many people prefer the punchy kick drum sound you get from a 15" sub.k

You've hit the nail on the head, for me at at least. What I think would be ideal would be a cab which can give an option of BOTH kick and sub so you can set it anywhere in between, does something like that exist?

The "kick" has both sub and higher frequencies, a good three way system will give you options of having either if you use a SMS. You can not achieve what you need from a single reflex  speaker if you want all of the frequencies of the "Kick" to be reproduced. Initial kick is a crack in the higher frequencies followed by various sub frequencies as the skin of the drum reverberates. Most P.A. systems for chest thumping kick are highly processed signals that are designed to partly emulate the kick sound whilst limiting any potential signals that can damage speakers whilst achieving the highest sound pressure levels. 
Top banana
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2016 at 6:04pm
And this is also why many large format touring systems have 15" LF sections in the main flown arrays and only cross to subs at 60-80Hz.
mikehende View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikehende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2016 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by 70,s hero 70,s hero wrote:

[QUOTE=mikehende]
The "kick" has both sub and higher frequencies, a good three way system will give you options of having either if you use a SMS. You can not achieve what you need from a single reflex  speaker if you want all of the frequencies of the "Kick" to be reproduced. Initial kick is a crack in the higher frequencies followed by various sub frequencies as the skin of the drum reverberates. Most P.A. systems for chest thumping kick are highly processed signals that are designed to partly emulate the kick sound whilst limiting any potential signals that can damage speakers whilst achieving the highest sound pressure levels. 

Very well put, thanks for the knowledge!

In my neck of the woods, it's very common to see a combination of reflex and folded horn systems which seems to work very well as in the case of my friend. The difference between him and I concerns our applications, his is for open air or large venues so needs the kick to throw. For myself, I would like the kick but I don't need all that throw so I would like to hear the kick in front of the speaker and not 50' away.

The last time I had an L36, I did not set it's frequency separately and high as my friend so I will try that to see if I can get the same results since he swears that he gets the "same kick whether 5' or 50' away from the cab".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123