Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driverack.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driverack.....
    Posted: 06 July 2016 at 3:32am
Hello,

Does anyone know the difference between the driverack PA+ and the 260?

Or any of them for that matter

As far as I can tell the entire range of PA, PA+, PA2 and 260 are all 2 in 6 out with GEQ, crossovers, delays limiters and I don't know why there are so many models which appear to do the same thing

Is it just an older model/newer model thing?  Are any of them better than any of the others?

I've used a PA+ but, erm, I don't really know what that counts for

On a completely separate note, why are the prices so varied?  They seem to vary between £200 and £600 if not higher, how come there isn't just a standard RRP

Sorry for the questions, been puzzling me for a while

Thanks
Tom
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 5:04am
The difference is in the head room, the quality of the PEQ / EQ,  and the cross over filter slopes. The PA + is a cheaper version of the 260, (absolute waste of money) while the PA2 is a modern yet cheaper version of the 260. the PA2 will do its job provided there is no burden put on the device. The true replacement for the 260, I personally feel, is the 360. To the best of my knowledge, the 260 and the PA+ are discontinued.
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 10:45am
PA series are linked (stereo) outputs, so 3x2. and they lack a filter on the high output.
the 260/360 is the better upgrade.

and the new 360 has the same look and feel as the pa2 so is a quick winner...
i personally use the pa+ for quick settings, testing envoirment if iam too lazy to boot a laptop ;)
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 2:47pm
A little perspective: That linked output is the main disadvantage in my view when compared to say, a Berry DCX 2496 which can assign any of 3 inputs (note the extra input) to any of 6 outputs.

To be fair, maybe this was done to simplify user operation, but my take is this: The simplest/cheapest analog crossover has separate left/right adjustments. Plus the user interface on PA/PA+/PX/260 was clunky. This has been improved with newest PA2/360 models

The Berry is less than half the price and goes up to 48db/oct slopes where the PX/PA/PA+ lower driveracks top out at 24.

feedback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feedback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 5:52pm
Is it a common fault of PA version to shut down/switch off/on again reboot carry on middle of a gig  nightmare..something to do with the read-out module?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2016 at 7:59pm
If you're looking at the Pa/pa+/px, the DCX is the better option in that price range!

My 2c
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 12:36am
The PA, PA+ PA2, are all different vintage releases of the original 2 in 6 out stereo linked DRPA and the PX is a stripped down version targeting powered speakers which is kind of silly because any decent powered speaker needs no extra processing. All of these are sonically inferior to the DCX which also has more flexible routing, but all you ever do is stereo 2 way or 3 way these boxes are fine as in you can get better results than with a basic analog crossover.. as long as you don't get too carried away with the included gimmic features(AutoEq, Sub Synth, FBQ).
The DR260 is where proper processing starts and the new 360 steps it up a bit with new wireless features.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 3:32am
Originally posted by feedback feedback wrote:

Is it a common fault of PA version to shut down/switch off/on again reboot carry on middle of a gig  nightmare..something to do with the read-out module?

Not common. Might be a loose power cord, or if not, loose ribbon internally?
Claer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 12:18am
Cheers for the info!  Loads of helpful advice here

I'm winning on a bid for a PA+ at the moment :-/ hopefully someone will outbid me haha

I've used a PA+ and a 480, tbh the PA+ seemed to be adequate, but interesting to get other peoples views too.  I'm going to aim to get the highest spec one I can for the £
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2016 at 8:47am
pa+ = a winner for me, quick setup / changes possible. i bought one for 200 euros.
Claer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2016 at 10:55pm
I quite liked the PA+ tbh when I used it, and I noticed the 6dB slopes, which I use in domestic speakers, although may not be that suitable for PA use

As it is I got I got outbid on the PA+ (phew), that sold for £183 and I got the 260 for £200. so hoping I did ok there
 Post Reply Post Reply