Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rcf mb15n401 shifted magnet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rcf mb15n401 shifted magnet?
    Posted: 20 July 2016 at 12:58pm
got 4 of these rcf mb15n401 used, from ebay. one has arrived pretty seized. coil can be moved but it's up against a lot of friction. seller says they were all tested fine before they were shipped... the packing wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst. 4 drivers cable tied together face to face in pairs, a lot of the cable ties had come undone though. bags of air packed around them.

it feels unlikely that this happened in transit though. i've done my best to take some photos with a phone through the vents, but they're not the best. i can see it's offset though.

question really is.. is there anything i can do about this? cheers..

http://imgur.com/a/RKdip
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:41pm
Ask the seller through ebay messages for a refund for the dodgy driver, or if were listed as one lot and you wanted them as a set then ask to return them all, item not as described.
You should be able to get a refund in full but likely the seller will want to cut a deal as will cost them for all the postage. 

Ebay contact number: 0345 355 3229 for guidance on what you can do about it.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 3:52pm
Course there is. Assuming the seller packed and shipped them it is their problem to sort out with the courier if goods have been damaged en-route, not yours.

If it is seized that driver is no good and is not worth keeping. I'd want at minimum a refund equal to it (1/4 the auction value or whatever is sensible), or I would expect a refund for the lot. It sounds to me like they were not packaged well enough. Air bags are not sufficient to protect a 15" driver. I would expect layers of thick foam and/or cardboard. The seller clearly cut corners when packaging.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 4:57pm
but do you think it's possible it got damaged in transit? seems unlikely to me.. seems more likely it was already seized before.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:06pm
yes this could have happened in transit, I had a crest amplifier with a 12mm deep dent, thats 2mm sheet, takes a lot less to shift a magnet. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 7:30pm
he just sent me a message.. he reckons it's all on the courier company. ugh. hate stuff like this.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:04pm
Sure, to get a shifted magnet it was dropped or subjected to a smash. That sounds like a courier company to me if they left intact. Take photos of all of the packaging if you can, it may be helpful later. If cable ties came undone they were shite, if they snapped then there must have been a lot of force on them.

Don't take his bullshit, the seller packed them badly, they picked the courier, they have the insurance claim to make (correct me if any of that is wrong?) You need to get your  money back for the seized driver (assuming the rest check out), it is then the sellers responsibility to get the payment from it off the courier via insurance.

Tell him what you want to happen, if he won't agree then kick off the ebay dispute process asap because there is a time limit on beginning it (2 weeks?) You paid by paypal right?

This is one instance where the strong buyer protection on ebay will work in your favor. Nothing wrong with making a genuine claim on it.

Seller has no-one to blame but themselves, who ships a 15" driver surrounded by airbags?

Edited by odc04r - 20 July 2016 at 10:04pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 10:36pm
i arranged the courier. and it's always been fine, so didn't pay for any insurance. but the seller packed it. the other 3 drivers seem fine. i did pay by paypal, it was a "make offer" "offer accpeted" ebay sale.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 9:15am
Ah, well then it starts to get complicated. Take as many photos of all of the packaging as you possibly can and then you have 2 options:

1) It is seller's fault for inadequate packaging of item - Ebay dispute resolution
2) Packaging was ok and it is the couriers fault = you're stuffed. Bu default most shipping carries £50 insurance though so double check that.

If I was arranging a courier for expensive drivers I didn't pack, then I would always have insurance on the shipment. It is positively amazing how little packaging some people seem to think is ok.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2016 at 11:40am
shipping things from uk to ireland can get astronomically expensive pretty quickly is the reason why i might be inclinded to skimp a little. it can undo all the good of a good deal on ebay pretty quickly. i haven't heard back from him since i sent him a video and link to the pics.. so far he's been comminicative and pleasent which is something.
 Post Reply Post Reply