Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BEHRINGER EPQ900 BOOM!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEHRINGER EPQ900 BOOM!
    Posted: 29 July 2016 at 9:06pm
Hi guys,

I have a behringer EPQ 900 ( I grabbed it cheap and thought it would be pretty good, but is complete utter shite). 

So I tested the amp on test volume with 1 channel powering a passive crossover going into a 12" RCF and 1" BMS. 1sec sound came out, very quiet. Next thing I hear something like 'sssshhhh' , then I smell something burned. Ok , thank you Behringer! I opened up the case, saw a fried resistor with 2x green and 2x gold rings. So that would be a 5.5 Ohms 5% resistor if I am right? Also, the behringer still turns on and makes some 'krak krak krak' sounds when you plug it into a 15" driver.I tried a QSC EX amp with exact same cabling and drivers and crossover, worked perfectly. I am a 20 year old guy and have been doing PA and DJ's sound for a few years. For my other hobby I fix broken Macbooks etc. I sometimes work as an electrian, but I want to go to component level and know everything about restistors,transistors,mosfet,capacitor et cetera, some have a good read URL for me please?

So now my questions,

1) Why did this happen?
2) If I replace the resistor with exacte same one , will it work?
3) Does some one have schematics for this amp or am I wishing too much now?

Thanks in advance Big smile

Edited by Dutchman - 29 July 2016 at 9:17pm
We need more SPL!
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 9:11pm
post image online

This post may be deleted by admin please

Edited by Dutchman - 29 July 2016 at 9:14pm
We need more SPL!
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 9:11pm

We need more SPL!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:53pm
Behringer schematics are not commonly available.  That resistor being fried is almost certainly a symptom rather than the fault, it's probably a lot worse.

If you want to learn how to work on amps, I wouldn't start with one of these.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 10:59pm
I will try to replace the resistor, it almost cost nothing so have nothing to lose. also easy to solder. Will see if it breaks again. Hmm oke.

Good thing I got it for 75€. I'm just going to buy a QSC MX1500 instead of this behringer shite.
I was always a fan of behringer because their stuff was cheap and basic and just worked but now hmm.

Edited by Dutchman - 29 July 2016 at 11:00pm
We need more SPL!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 12:03am
Save your time, life's too short. I doubt the resistor committed suicide. It was pushed.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 11:10am
Yeah maybe, still gonna try it tough. It can be a learning process. :D 

We need more SPL!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 11:50am
The old Behringer EP2500 and EP4000 etc with conventional transformers aren't too bad, pretty much just a straight QSC RMX Copy.  Their switchmode stuff is definitely something to avoid.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 11:59am
Yeah , they make some decent stuff like X32, Ultradrive, RMX Copies. Also there analog x-overs I like and their EQ's. But their digital amps seem like trash. It was really the first time I started it up and it went boom instantly, and it was used on a very moderate setting volume wise.. Maybe the amp was dropped or something, I don't know what caused it to blow up.
We need more SPL!
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

The old Behringer EP2500 and EP4000 etc with conventional transformers aren't too bad, pretty much just a straight QSC RMX Copy.  Their switchmode stuff is definitely something to avoid.

had berry 2500 it was ok just run out of steam too quick from my personal use of the inuke 6000 dsp it will be coming up for 2 years off use we are into 1000's of hours use still blowin LOL runs cool for the money was worth every dollar Big smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 1:04pm
I have experience with their Inukes, the 6000DSP model indeed. People said it sounded distorted, people who don't really know anything about sound. The DSP was nice. But for the money I would buy t-amp tsa 4-1300. :) 
We need more SPL!
 Post Reply Post Reply