Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TEA2025B Garbled

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellis003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEA2025B Garbled
    Posted: 05 August 2016 at 11:15pm
Hi all,

New to the forum.  I'm working on a car project, so I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262444175417?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The description says it's rated up to 12 volts, so I connected it off the ignition switch and hooked it up to my speakers and some RCA inputs.  Works fine for about 2 minutes, then gets really garbled.  You can barely hear the music under the noise, and I can't quite describe the sound it makes - not static, just... garbled.  

I saw a comment on a YouTube video that says at 12V the amp gets really hot.  I have it inside an old amplifier enclosure, and the only cooling element is the heatsink that comes with it.  Is that the issue, here?  If so, any suggestions on getting it to run cooler?  

Thanks,
Nick
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by nellis003 nellis003 wrote:

Hi all,

New to the forum.  I'm working on a car project, so I bought one of these:

The description says it's rated up to 12 volts, so I connected it off the ignition switch and hooked it up to my speakers and some RCA inputs.  Works fine for about 2 minutes, then gets really garbled.  You can barely hear the music under the noise, and I can't quite describe the sound it makes - not static, just... garbled.  

I saw a comment on a YouTube video that says at 12V the amp gets really hot.  I have it inside an old amplifier enclosure, and the only cooling element is the heatsink that comes with it.  Is that the issue, here?  If so, any suggestions on getting it to run cooler?  

Thanks,
Nick

What load have you connected to it? Does the heatsink get too hot too touch, i.e. above 60C? Gradual appearance of distortion with time in the scale of minutes from turn on could suggest heat related issues.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2016 at 8:04pm
As to running colder, point a 12v fan at it
nellis003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellis003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2016 at 4:32am
Getting this to run cooler (either via a better heatsink, cooling fan, or voltage regulator) was stacking up to be more trouble than the project was worth, so I went with a proper car amplifier mounted in the trunk.  More money but smoother sailing.  

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  

Nick
 Post Reply Post Reply