Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setting up radio Mic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up radio Mic
    Posted: 10 September 2016 at 7:48am
Hi All

After 20 years of dj-ing, I've finally decided to get myself a radio Mic.  I've used and will continue to use a lead mic for the bits of talking I need to do, but need a radio mic for clients to do speeches etc.  People just expect you to have one.  I'm thinking of the Sennheiser XSW35 or 65 or the Shure PG58.

I was just wondering if someone could help with the set-up as I have never used a radio mic properly (of course, I've held one and talked in to it! Just never had to set it up properly).

The thing that is confusing me is the gain structure.  On the mic receiver theres is a volume dial which then feeds into my mixer which has gain control and then the channel fader.

On a music channel, I would just adjust the gain to account for differences in recording volume on the source material and then adjust the channel fader and master out so that it is peaking just below clip.  it makes sense that this is the same on the mic channel, but where does the volume control on the mic receiver come in?

Thanks for your help :-)

Edited by djgorey - 10 September 2016 at 7:51am
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2016 at 3:33pm
When I had my SM58 and the radio 58 I used to make the settings on the two mic channels the same, then adjust the volume control on the RX unit so that it would give the same level when using either mic.
Then you can just treat it like you do with your lead mic.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2016 at 3:56pm
Yeah that sounds a good idea! :-)

Then I won't be surprised when the radio mic is used compared to my lead mic
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
 Post Reply Post Reply