Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheers and a few questions from a noob

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antik One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheers and a few questions from a noob
    Posted: 07 October 2016 at 3:23am
First of all, I'd like to say hello you fine folks. I've been digging fairly heavy through your forum for a couple weeks now. You guys seem to have a lovely community here.
So I'll give a bit of an introduction, not that I imagine anyone cares... But I'd prefer to become a part of this community rather than just a lurker mooching some information now and again. My name is Peter, I'm a Yank. I hope you won't hold it against me. I've been djing for about 15 years. Mostly dnb/jungle/dubwise/halftime, some techno, some dub, some weird gypsyesq psychedelic multi genre stuff (desert dwellers for example), ambient, and on occasion some house. The city I live in is fairly large, yet has shit for sound. Mostly off the shelf QSC gear with the gain tapped out and no mixing board. There is one decent Bassboss rig that comes out now and again from a nearby city, but I'd like to have something local. There are a few Dj crews doing events around town and we are in rooms that range from 130-300 people.
I'm thinking of putting together a modular rig suitable for these small environments (ideally capable of outdoor small events too), but expandable. I'd like to be able to feel the bass well and keep the sound crisp and detailed. Reflex bins with some 2x12+1 tops. I was thinking possibly kick bins, but from what I've gathered I'd lose stereo at that point.

I'm curious does it make sense to use subs with a lower power requirement in larger numbers for larger cone surface area to move more air for lows and EQ the mids to give punch?

I've also been kicking around the idea of trying to crowd fund the project as I don't make a ton of money. I'm a bit of a hippie and simply want to provide decent sound for my friends to play on and in hopes of drawing some attention from someone of the random that stumble on the events. Has anyone had any success with this?

My ears are pretty good and I learn quickly. I have access to some good woodworking tools and knowledgeable people. Taking on the project seems well within our grasp. Only issue is once I have the plan laid out (parts/materials needed, cut sheets, wiring schematics) is getting the cash fork out to make it happen. Any tips on getting used gear is also appreciated.

Keep up the wonderful work. I can't wait to finally be a member of the sound system culture.
Claer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 3:10pm
Hello,

I would have thought that it made more sense to use large subs with large power handling capabilities, rather than larger number of subs with lower power handling.

For example I built some 15" subs largely as an experiment.  they are 97dB 800w - if I were to upgrade/rebuild/go back in time or whatever I'd rather have used 18"  drivers with say 1500w handling and possibly 98-99dB sensitivity rather than building another set of 15" speakers which will take up a ton of storage space for the same performance

I reckon I could tune a 18" lower than a 15" too
Antik One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antik One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 4:01pm
I'm thinking 18s but low power requirements in terms of pressure in the space available. Say for example 4 2x18 cabinets that require approximately 700 watts per sub vs 2 2x18 cabinets that draw say 1500 per sub. Assuming storage of said units is already covered. I ask because the increased cone surface area and air movement makes sense to me in regards to creating felt bass response... However, I am no expert. Hence asking. I'm purely speculating.
Claer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 4:19pm
You're right

Lets say your drivers are 97dB, 100dB per cab, 103dB for the 2x dual 18s, running at 1500 per driver = 6000w into 103dB

Lets double the amount of drivers = 106dB, half the power to each one, total of 6000w again, so you've gained 3dB, but that does make sense now thinking about it and you've gained 3dB headroom as well if you use higher power subs
Antik One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antik One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2016 at 5:04pm
I want to make sure I'm fully understanding here.

"Lets double the amount of drivers = 106dB, half the power to each one, total of 6000w again, so you've gained 3dB, but that does make sense now thinking about it and you've gained 3dB headroom as well if you use higher power subs"

You're saying there is a 3db gain with the increase of drivers, but a 3db loss of headroom? Or I'd gain 3db headroom by using the high powered divers in this same equation but at half the required amplification? Bare with me. I know I'm a pain.
Claer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2016 at 1:00pm
I'm working on the principle that ALL your individual drivers are the same power rating (ie 1500w in my example)

So the dual stack can take 6000w

the quad stack can take 12,000w, but you're only running it at half power ie 6000w, so if needed you can double the input power, and gain a further 3dB in volume

But that makes sense if you are doubling the amount of drivers you use

This d£sn't apply if you are using 750w drivers of course, you will only get the 3dB surface area gain
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2016 at 8:25pm
you might want to check out the PA section of diyaudio.com forum. There are a lot of Americans on there, I'm sure you can get some good advice which is relevant to you locally in many aspects....lots of interesting  DIY builds documented as well
 Post Reply Post Reply