Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wine & ubuntu & behringer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 8:54am
I'm a Linux/UNIX developer by trade, so as Linux paid for my 5 series Msport, & bills, my opinion differs somewhat..

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 9:11am
Should add Lev not one of the beards in my commentBig smile  and of course behind the scenes Linux/Unix provides the tools. Desktop though, missed it's chance due to bloody mindedness (IMHO)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2472495/nhs-trusts-are-still-using-unsupported-windows-xp-pcs
It's everything, not everythink!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 10:34am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

Should add Lev not one of the beards in my commentBig smile  and of course behind the scenes Linux/Unix provides the tools. Desktop though, missed it's chance due to bloody mindedness (IMHO)

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2472495/nhs-trusts-are-still-using-unsupported-windows-xp-pcs

But!!

I'm hearing Office 365 works on Linux !?

Shock horror!!
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 7:41pm
MS wouldn't miss a buck now would they? 
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 9:36pm
Was told some of the firms with more sophisticated UNIX/Linux Devs, standard build is hardened Linux, with Office365..

Now that would be almost perfection, as LibreOffice is close, but not quite Carling.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:07am
Let me be VERY clear.

Linux can be deployed to an appliance, "hardened" locked out, if it works on day one, it will work on day 10^100, the issue to me me is pricks either trying to use it as a day-to-day desktop environment, as i say IMHO, it ends at shell so has no desktop, and piling on workarounds, using noddy crap apps (if I send f**king AutoCAD file i want a Autodesk DWG back, not interested in any poverty cad app, etc...) or idiots building systems with default gateways that update from f**repositories ad hoc and crash, if you build a systems that works, just close it there, you have no idea what the prick that wrote a lump of your system might commit next, so orphan the code and let it work, if you need an update, build identical hardware, load the old system, load the updates and test, don't reply on the fact the next iteration committed to a a public repository will meet your needs, it may not.

Basically, if you know how you use linux, crack on, the moment you are posting on a forum how to make it do windows stuff, save your self a trashed gig and spend £50 on the right tool for job.

I loaded Windows 10 on some tarts MacBook pro last week, didn't ask, just blew OSX away and handed it back with the stuff she needed for work, I have ignored all her calls since but she still has her job.

Sorted!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:40am
Only experienced Linux beards can use Linux, as a day to day windows replacement desktop, with help only from Google.

I was modifying Minix kernel on my Uni degree,way before Linux made it onto geeks '386 machines..

Yet still, I have 2x duplicate Linux laptops, & a Windows '10 laptop, as nothing beats Office on it.

Edited by levyte357- - 15 November 2016 at 1:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12