Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can a LF Sub lower the FQ of an enclosures tuning?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can a LF Sub lower the FQ of an enclosures tuning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DemonKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a LF Sub lower the FQ of an enclosures tuning?
    Posted: 24 October 2016 at 7:43pm
Hello good people.....
May I ask you... 
If an enclosure is tuned to 50hz as for example the THAM 12.. Will putting a low frequency sub in it forsay an "Eminence Kappalite 3012LF-4 High Power Neo 12" 4 Ohm low frequency  driver"
Drop the over all tuning or does the box tuning keep the speaker frequency stable?
I ask this with the FTH 12, OR Tham 12 build in mind, as have both plans in front of me, but I am torn between the 2. 

I can not find out what Tony Wilkes FTH 12 is tuned to anywhere? I see that it is indeed a bit wider then the THAM 12, so will this effect, and drop the over all tuning lower then the THAM?

In my band We tune some songs to drop D, and others are tuned to a "low C" so I want to ensure that I we are able to meet ourneeds with these enclosures. I am not opposed to going with another suggestion, but I would like to stay as compact as possible, and with either the THAM or FTH 12 build if possible, as I dj on the weekends and would like to travel with 2 of these in my car.. 
Please keep in mind I am a somewhat of a novice, and doing my best to learn all of this. 
Thank you in advance for any help, and advice... Have a great day,...
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by DemonKnight DemonKnight wrote:

Hello good people.....
May I ask you... 
If an enclosure is tuned to 50hz as for example the THAM 12.. Will putting a low frequency sub in it forsay an "Eminence Kappalite 3012LF-4 High Power Neo 12" 4 Ohm low frequency  driver"
Drop the over all tuning or does the box tuning keep the speaker frequency stable?
I ask this with the FTH 12, OR Tham 12 build in mind, as have both plans in front of me, but I am torn between the 2. 

I can not find out what Tony Wilkes FTH 12 is tuned to anywhere? I see that it is indeed a bit wider then the THAM 12, so will this effect, and drop the over all tuning lower then the THAM?

In my band We tune some songs to drop D, and others are tuned to a "low C" so I want to ensure that I we are able to meet ourneeds with these enclosures. I am not opposed to going with another suggestion, but I would like to stay as compact as possible, and with either the THAM or FTH 12 build if possible, as I dj on the weekends and would like to travel with 2 of these in my car.. 
Please keep in mind I am a somewhat of a novice, and doing my best to learn all of this. 
Thank you in advance for any help, and advice... Have a great day,...

First of all, have a look here. It should answer some of your queries.

The extension of a tapped horn is mainly affected by the effective horn path length, so different drivers will have negligible effect on the extension.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 1:12am
The box determines tuning the driver either works with that or it doesn't.
DemonKnight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DemonKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 7:39am
Thank you very much for your quick responses gentleman.. This indeed answers some of my questions... Your time is greatly appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply