Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building soundsystem, advice welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpeakerFreaker0181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building soundsystem, advice welcome
    Posted: 05 November 2016 at 10:38pm
I'm building a soundystem with the help of my father and some friends. I started out two years ago when I bought a secondhand EVM-18B and built the TL505 for it, which EV designed to go along with it. Last year I continued by building 2 http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9645 with the intention of building slightly more complicated cabs for learning and building the most compact bassreflex boxes I could find for easy transport. I could buy 2 GAUSS woofers fairly cheap, unfortunately one doesn't go as loud as the other so this is an issue I need to fix soon. I really wonder what the problem is actually.

This year I decided, after thorough consideration and reading on the forums to build 4 es18-bph, 2 hog scoops and 2 PAS3MA2.

I was considering buidling W-bins because I like the design, but figured it's really too big for me and it seemed to be a bit outdated. Even though I knew 2 es18-bph have different specs than a W-bin, I kind of chose it as a substitute and figured I would need to built at least 4 of them in order to get the desired result. I also really wanted to try a scoop design so I settled for the hogs because they seemed to go very well with the es18bph and the - I guess standard - supercooper seemed inferior to me because of the measurements. People think hogs are already huge but then superscoopers are really super huge.

By now the plan consisted of 3 bass reflex, 4 horns and 2 scoops. Plenty of bass, so it seemed time for midtops. As I had bought a secondhand 12' RCF and a friend of mine who also likes to help where he can bought a cheap 15' woofer for 25 eu. I decided to look for plans for a 12' and a 15' and when I found the PAS3MA2 it felt as if I found exactly what I was looking for.

Right now, the 4 horns are as good as finished and I started on the hogs.
Might be interesting to add, I have friends who live in a squat with 3 warehouses? (Loods in dutch) and they allow me to use one of them to built my system now. I built the bassreflex boxes in the building of Scouting, in the workshop of my group in the eldest group. I have more than all the room I need to work now and I'm really happy with this.

Now, my intentions have been to slowly build up my soundsystem from the base and start at focusing on learning about differrent cabs and building the cabs for my system and leaving the electronics issue as a follow up after having finished the cabs. I have bought a few amps because I throw parties during the summer, also using other speakers because the intended soundsystem would need way more time.
I have a t.amp, Ibiza and 2 qtx amps. 800 / 600 / 1000 / 500 watts.Not really pro but I feel the T.amp already comes a long way. I was on a tight budget at the time of buying and intended to replace the low quality amps with high quality later.

Currently looking for affordable woofers that will perform well in the cabs.

I just thought of sharing my story here.

I'll post some pictures later

Post Reply Post Reply