Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starting off with a new lighting rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting off with a new lighting rig
    Posted: 06 November 2016 at 5:42pm
hi chaps I'm after advice on a lighting rig , i have no idea about lights or cost. I'm after second hand quality not brand new crap I've tried the likes of maplins stuff and not impressed . i do pub/small club partys and the odd bit of mobile disco kind of stuff.
I'm looking at 2 or 4 units to start which id like to be able to link to work together .
I'm after that single beam scanner type look rather then lots of shapes and colours being thrown round the room at once. not sure if led is what I'm looking for ?
any advice would be great 
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 11:16am
whats your budget?
One of my favorite lighting fixtures is the Robe 250 club scan. Or XTs. These can be had very very cheap as lots of people probably think moving heads are better. They're not always

Edited by supremesoundz - 07 November 2016 at 11:44am
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 1:41pm
Trackspots are the best sound to light scanner ever, hands down. Getting good ones and parts are getting harder, so I'd not suggest them unless you are a dedicated fan.

Robe XT scanners are good, but the on board sound to light functions aren't the best, same with the Martin MX series scanners, a basic controller and a bit of at home pre programming will make them so much better. Plus the ability to have a controlled open white strobe moment on the right cue is priceless

For lowest budget the newer led units seem ok, I've not had a good play with any in particular, so don't have a recommendation
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 5:17pm
Just bought some robe 250 club scans today for a touch under £40 each. picking them up tomorrow.If they all work it has to be one of the bargains of the decade for me.

And yeh dmx all the way. The internal auto programs are crap. Even if you use the £10 chamsys dongle it's better than sound to light

Edited by supremesoundz - 07 November 2016 at 8:37pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 7:06pm
Trackspots do have the best sound to light I've ever seen on a light, I've got about eight or nine of them plus loads in bits, now if I could only just find the rarely seen trackspot controller that gives you access to the internal programs... if anyone sees one let me know!

One of the best basic disco Lights that fills the room with funky moving beams is the Geni XTC, they seem to have a well calibrated mic and just spin away always at the right time, hitting all the drops. you just need a very basic switch pack to drop them in and out.
blah blah blah blah blah......
savo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 9:17pm
thanks people that gives me some where to start looking !
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 1:57am
Had a 6ft rack full of intelibeam controllers (each one was about 8u), but have never seen a trackspot controller in the flesh, although I'd guess it was similar
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 9:07am
yeah, dbn have two, I think only one works but they ain't letting go of it! They come up as spares/repairs every now and then in the states but thats just not worth the risk..
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply