Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brooke XPro 3000 power amp power issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M6dly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brooke XPro 3000 power amp power issue.
    Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:15pm
Hi all, this is my first post here.
I'm having an issue with a Brooke XPro 3000 power amp that is installed in a club which I maintain.
I normally carry out repairs on turntables & DJ equipment, however I gave the sound system an overhaul about 8 months ago replacing the cabling, a couple of speaker drivers and EQing the system to the room. The Brooke amp powers the rooms two bass bins, I was asked last week to set the sound system up for a new mixer they had purchased. So I pluged my laptop into the speaker management unit and proceeded to lower the limiter as I had previously set them very high as the old mixer had a very high output.
I decreased the limiter by two db and pop! all the power in the building went! 
I must at this point make you aware that I am a bit of a noob with an above basic understanding of sound systems and audio electronics. 
After much swearing I eventually traced the fault to the Brooke amp. 
So I removed it and took it home...
Upon opening it up i found this:
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/M6DLY/media/fullsizeoutput_3488.jpeg. -
Two dead thermistors!
I have replaced the thermistors and also the relay and capacitor however I is still not working
It will turn on for a split second then instantly blow the fuse in the plug and trip the power to the wall socket.
I have another amp that I will install tonight and will continue to test this one as i can but i have a limited knowledge of repairing amps and really don't know where to go or what to do next..
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:48pm
Well first of all there is no reason why altering a limiter setting should affect the power supply.

The bits that have died there look like part of a soft start switch on circuit, with the relay there also presumably that is a delay for speaker connection until the amplifier has stabilised.

Tbh amplifiers are complicated beasts even for people who know a bit about them. If it is pulling enough current to trash a slow blow mains fuse then you have some dead shorts in there. You can measure the output devices for shorts perhaps.

I'd recommend sending it to a professional repairer. In the long run you will save time and money by having confidence in the repair in that something else won't go wrong one month down the line as a secondary failure.
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 2:58pm
The relay is probably to bypass the thermistors after the initial inrush current to charge the DC capacitors has decayed. Still, unit should be checked by a professional aw advised.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 11:49pm
Yeah, could easily be that too. Especially being so close to the thermistors and it is 30A 240V relay too.

Did a similar latching circuit once for a cryopump compressor supply that liked to fire up whether or not the pump was roughed out. After an unexpected power loss event you'd come back to find a ft^3 block of ice otherwise.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2016 at 11:52pm
Also I assume that the amp is a toroidal linear PSU. If you are trashing mains fuses and thermistors etc it possibly points to an issue with the transformer/rectification circuitry.

There are some checks you could do regarding transformer winding resistance (with the power off) that are not too hard. Can also check the diode drops of the bridge rectifier. If the smoothing caps had failed you'd probably know about it.
M6dly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M6dly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 9:42pm
Hi, Just a quick update on this issue. 
Well more of a thank you. 
I took your advice and decided not to mess about with it any longer and to move it on.
I just don't have the know how to progress with it.

So i've stuck it up on eBay as spares or repairs - hopefully some one with a little more knowledge than I will be able to repair it.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROOKE-XPRO-3000-3U-3000W-Power-Amplifier-Spares-or-Repairs-/262830377353?hash=item3d31e94989:g:FywAAOSwopRYj7Fv%20-%20www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROOKE-XPRO-3000-3U-3000W-Power-Amplifier-Spares-or-Repairs-/262830377353?hash=item3d31e94989:g:FywAAOSwopRYj7Fv - Brooke XPRO-3000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROOKE-XPRO-3000-3U-3000W-Power-Amplifier-Spares-or-Repairs-/262830377353?hash=item3d31e94989:g:FywAAOSwopRYj7Fv - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROOKE-XPRO-3000-3U-3000W-Power-Amplifier-Spares-or-Repairs-/262830377353?hash=item3d31e94989:g:FywAAOSwopRYj7Fv

Thank your again for your advice guys.

Edited by M6dly - 30 January 2017 at 9:44pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 5:20pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

stoneworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoneworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:57pm
Big smile
Hi guys
I am new on this forum
I saw this post about this Brooke XPro 3000 I later came across this amplifier on ebay on its sale for the 
second time.
I bought and I have managed to repair its now working. 

Post Reply Post Reply