Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE PRECISION NBC215

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8 ECU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 7:32am
Many years ago (say late 70's / early 80's), at Martin Audio's Stanhope Street London factory, I saw lots of x-overs built for Martin by an outside contractor on 18mm birch plywood.

I noticed the superb build quality.

The x-overs were reliable enough for touring rigs, with everything stuck down / fastened to the plywood correctly.

Some of those inductors were huge & heavy too.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 8:56am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Those are not for crossovers man. It just telling what they can do.

I know.... joke...

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 3:49pm

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

They may both work, but I know what is more professional. And I've ordered a minimum quantity of 5 boards quite a few times recently for some designs. 500 MOQ is not true.

I dont need to go to china for this, i have a local pcb maker that can make pcb's up to 14 layers. Quite reasonable with pricing too.

Yet you use wooden PCBs in your systems up to 3500W? Why would you do that?
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Thats a version of the arc line array, something that John built for the Military to be used under water, it does sound bloody good and can be heard from any angle without any loss Shocked

It's a copy of Keele's CBT Loudspeaker Array. I wonder how it manages to work underwater.

Are you going to post the measurements of your speakers? 

Tweeter_Box View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweeter_Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 9:11am
Originally posted by L8 ECU L8 ECU wrote:

Many years ago (say late 70's / early 80's), at Martin Audio's Stanhope Street London factory, I saw lots of x-overs built for Martin by an outside contractor on 18mm birch plywood.

I noticed the superb build quality.

The x-overs were reliable enough for touring rigs, with everything stuck down / fastened to the plywood correctly.

Some of those inductors were huge & heavy too.

i still have one of the original Martin xovers in my workshop somewhere, will try and dig it out
https://www.facebook.com/PurpleAudioRecords
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by stevie stevie wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

They may both work, but I know what is more professional. And I've ordered a minimum quantity of 5 boards quite a few times recently for some designs. 500 MOQ is not true.

I dont need to go to china for this, i have a local pcb maker that can make pcb's up to 14 layers. Quite reasonable with pricing too.

Yet you use wooden PCBs in your systems up to 3500W? Why would you do that?

Because i still trust the 18mm ply to hold better a 6.5kg crossover parts.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 5:26pm
That's hardly a typical crossover though, is it? (Why don't you just bolt the coils to the cabinet?)

And I would be very surprised if you mounted power resistors directly to the wood without any heat sinking or external support, as in the crossover in question.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 8:42pm
Resistor are mounted directly on the wood. No problem at all. Good crossovers dont have heat problems. If your resistors are heating too much, that means you are putting a lot of stress to the amp also because you are essentially short cutting a lot of power.

Edited by MarjanM - 23 November 2016 at 8:46pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234