Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

radio mic making noises

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: radio mic making noises
    Posted: 17 November 2016 at 1:42pm
hi

i have one radio mic.. it's a trantec s5.3 handheld mic, and receiver. normally it's fine (small indoor things i think have always been fine), but sometimes on outdoor events it makes a lot of noise.

the noise is random occasional little hisses and fuzzy noises.. sounds a lot like a dusty needle on a scratched record. muting the handset stops the noise completely.

i just don't know enough about them to know what could be causing this. could it be weak signal, something else interfering, or an problem with the handheld itself?

thanks if anyone can give me a pointer..

frequency is 838-865mhz.
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 2:59pm
Have you tried the squelch adjustment on it
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 6:07pm
i have not.. i have not heard of such a thing. i shall look that up so, thanks terry.
azlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 7:54pm
basically, squelch is kind of like a gate, only for RF signal it cuts the audio from the receiver if the  signal from the transmitter drops too low, in order to stop it from sending out random noise (from all the other weak RF thats constantly everywhere)

Raising the squelch basically increases the likelihood of audio dropping out under marginal signal conditions, but reduces the chances of random noise spluttering out.

I would also check if you have a pilot tone function, and if you do, make sure it is on.

What kind of antenna are you using as well? if you are using 1/8 wavelength stubbies, then they may just not be getting enough signal in the first place, so trying some proper paddles (ideally log periodic's or something else directional). Omni's are great to an extent, but you want to do everything you can to maximise your signal/noise ratio.
aziz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aziz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2016 at 10:34pm
You could be just running out of rf on a bigger stage,try to keep the reciever as close as poss to the transmitter and high as you can and away from walls and metalwork and keep a clear line of sight,tweaking the squelch might help a bit but as with all things wireless,it's always a gamble
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:57pm
ok, tis the season for the outdoors, so i'm back to this.

i'd need the pair of these to replace the 2 small wifi router style antennae on the receiver? https://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_ldws100da_richtantenne.htm

have had eyes open for some second hand ones but they're not showing up much. these ones have shown up on a local site, but they seem to be the wrong frequency range. http://www.adverts.ie/other-music-instruments-equipment/shure-active-directional-antenna/13006912

so a pair of these mounted on mic stands should improve things? the few outdoor things i've done with this have been sporting events.. fun runs, 5 a side tournaments. quite long distance between transmitter and receiver.

cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply