Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mt121 with phase bung

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screeldnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mt121 with phase bung
    Posted: 19 November 2016 at 1:24am
Are there any building plans for an mt121 top with phase bung? I'm really keen to build some but don't have the technical knowledge right now to design a phase bung myself. I would be making them out of plywood with a lathe so would want it to be one of the round ones. If I do try design one myself what would the consequences be if its poorly designed, will it have a negative effect on the speakers performance or will it just not improve the performance at higher freq? 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:01am
if you search, you'll see people have brought it up before... and that the answer has always been that you can't just fit a plug to a horn, it'll totally change the horn. so you'd need to design a new horn with plug.. together.

i don't know much about it.. plenty of reading on phase plugs about though.
screeldnb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote screeldnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 12:37pm
I totally get that you can't just fit a plug to a horn, its just that there have been lots of people mentioning that they have wanted to use a phase bung with the mt121 design so just incase someone was willing to share their updated plans (or plans for a similar horn). And if not, can i build the horn now and then design the phase bung later or will that be alot trickier? 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 1:25pm
again, i'm no authority really. but the plug is part of the horn. obviously the dimensions of the horn change completely if you put a plug in it. so i would suspect that no, you couldn't do a horn first and then a plug later (and expect it to work well).

off the top of my head, forum user Doober on here did a lot of work on a 6.5" horn with a phase plug, find his topics and i think he said quite a lot about how he went about the design.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:39am
just too add, the mt121 has the wrong shaped baffle to mound a plug, the baffle needs to be round...
https://www.elements-audio.com
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 9:28pm
Pah! 'Needs'
 Post Reply Post Reply