Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drum fill cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum fill cab
    Posted: 19 November 2016 at 2:01am
Thinking about building a drum fill monitor, any recommendations?
100% Earth Moving Bass
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:56am
something twin 15", will knock a drummers head clean off!
maybe something like co-ax 10"/12" on mounts on top?
You can't polish a turd!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 2:37pm
While a single box drum fill is a nice idea, they do tend to be quite large and don't give much flexibility.

Personally I think it's a better idea just to have a loud wedge (eg 15" + 2") and either another 15" or 18" sub underneath.

If you do go for one, you can get away with just two way with twin 15" and a large compression driver or three way by putting a 10" or 12" in the middle.  Don't be tempted to go for a small format (1") compression driver.  You really need the power (and ability to rip the drummers skin off) from a large format compression driver.  As much as I hate to say it, drum fills do not need to sound hi-fi, they just need to reproduce the things the drummer needs to hear loudly!  Singing drummers introduce a whole world of pain into the equation but I'd be persuading any drummer that also sings onto IEM's.  I work with a couple of singing drummers, both use ears and no wedges.

The other alternative is just two large 15"+1.4/2" wedges behind the drummer, then you can use them for any other band members if necessary on other jobs.

dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 2:55pm
If you have room a pair of wedges (12" or 15") either side of them with a sub behind the drummer works well I've found.

In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 4:17pm
I did wonder about a speakerplans DM2, I don't recall ever seeing anyone posting about building one or what they thought of it though?
100% Earth Moving Bass
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:11pm
I have built the DM2 (although I altered it a bit but same volume etc) I was very happy with the result.. sounds good to me..
Reverence Sound system

dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 5:26pm
Double post!

Edited by dj jammin - 19 November 2016 at 5:26pm
Reverence Sound system

GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 6:56pm
I'd imagine it's quite a heavy cab! Any pictures?
100% Earth Moving Bass
 Post Reply Post Reply