Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wharfedale Delta 218 with RCF Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djteknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wharfedale Delta 218 with RCF Drivers
    Posted: 23 November 2016 at 8:33pm
I have two Wharfedale Delta 218 dual 18" subs that i've used for quite a while and they're pretty good subs but instead of selling them for something more powerful I was thinking about taking out the drivers and putting in either RCF LF18G401 or L18P300 drivers. I'm leanign towards the G401 due to it having a bit higher xmax.

I've used WinISD to plot the probably frequency response (i'm not a pro at using it) and all looks ok to me. The subs both have two seperate chambers, one for each driver and the internal volume of each chamber is (as far as I can work out after measuring inside and calculating) about 143litres. The insides of each chamber measurements are :  depth : 560mm, width : 470mm, height : 500mm, the 4 port are triangular and the measurements of each port (each sub chamber has 4 ports) is 390mm long x 150mm wide x 80mm high. Inside each sub chamber 18mm thick bracing runs from top to bottom and is 100mm depth.

Do you guys think 143 litres for each chamber is about right and am I right in thinking the RCF LF18G401 or the RCF L18P300 drivers would be perfectly fine? I want to upgrade the drivers because I want better sound quality and higher output of bass, I play drum & bass, techno and oldskool hardcore rave which really punishes most subs when run full.

Edited by djteknovibe - 23 November 2016 at 8:34pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 4:40am
G401 is better for bandpass or horn loading.
P300 is one of the best reflex drivers ever made
You can't polish a turd!
DJ_Teknovibe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ_Teknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 9:12am
I had a make a new account because I changed my email address and got locked out of my account and after trying about 15 times to get an email activation sent to my new email address nothing ever arrived.

Anyway, is there another driver for the Wharfedale subs enclosures that you can think of that might be better considering the internal dimensions and port size etc...? Or is the RCF L18P300 the best I could have in the sub enclosures? I've probably heard the P300 in subs at raves and in clubs but never knew it I should think.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 10:16am
Best thing to do is to measure the internals of the cab and input into winisd or hornresp and see what drivers will suit
You can't polish a turd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ_Teknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 10:38am
Here are two frequency plots, the first is at 1 watt input and the second is at 1,000 watts input,  this is for one driver not two as the Wharfedale Delta 218 subs have seperate chambers one for each driver and in WinISD I plotted it for one single 18" sub chamber. So I guess peak spl i'd add 3db for a single dual 18" sub loaded with the LF18P300 drivers right?

Edited by DJ_Teknovibe - 24 November 2016 at 10:43am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2016 at 12:26pm
I think you may want to re-check your dimensions/calculations, I get a gross internal volume of 131.6 per chamber from your 470*500*560mm, then when you subtract the driver and ports etc you're down to about 111l net internal per driver.

Other than that, you're doing the right thing by modelling it.

One other thing I'd mention, remember to check excursion and vent air velocity - modern drivers can shift a lot more air than those from a generation or two back, but if the vents can't handle it, or the tuning frequency of the box results in too much excursion, it might be a lot of money spent for marginal benefit. (Not to mention you may need a bigger amp to actually get any extra performance the newer drivers may offer.)

HTH,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ_Teknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 8:36pm
The first graph shows that the vent mach is in the green so it's ok. I've remodelled the subs using 111 litres and the subs (each chamber) is -3db@46hz using the RCF LF18P300 drivers.  The WinISD program doesn't allow for triangular ports so I had to add the ports width and heigh together to simulate it as if each chamber had one square port.

Edited by DJ_Teknovibe - 27 November 2016 at 9:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ_Teknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 9:24pm
Right i've modelled a few more drivers and found a possible candidate for being ok in the enclosures. Can you guys verify whether this would be ok? Right i've modelled the Celestion CF18VJD driver with a box tuning frequency of 47hz (because the vents in the subs are so big and not very deep) and using DMorrison's calculation of the internal volume of each of the sub's chambers being 111 litres. Here is the frequency curve using that driver in each a single chamber (the model is for one driver chamber).

The vent mach is 0.05 and is the green so no problems there. I could add a 2db cut at about 57hz to flatten the frequency response in the Dbx Driverack couldn't I then although I might lose 2db of output the frequency response would be -3db down @ 43hz which isn't too shabby.

Here's the Celestion driver and it's specs, it has a 5" voicel and 9mm xmax.
http://celestion.com/product/5/cf18vjd/

I could also line the inside of the driver chambers with wadding like this :

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=TUFF58156&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by DJ_Teknovibe - 28 November 2016 at 11:54am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ_Teknovibe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 2:59pm
What a dickhead I am I miscalulated the port dimensions which was giving me an inaccurate idea of how loud they'd be, what frequwncy they'd be -3db down at etc... Each chamber of the subs has 4 triangular ports measuring 11cm high x 12cm wide x 37cm deep (port length). Plus ive properly caluclated the internal volume of each driver chamber and it's 120.5 litres taking off for ports, handles, bracing and the driver depth.

So the RCF LF18P300 would be great in the Wharfedale sub enclosures, yes ok they might not give much extra output but the sound quality would be better using RCF drivers and the excursion is way more than standard drivers in the enclosures. Plus not to mention RCF drivers has excellent power compression figures wheras Wharfedale's drivers have quite high power compression. I know this because the spl very slowly drops quite a bit over say a half hour perdiod which is obviously power compression.

Using RCF LF18P300 drivers the subs in total with two drivers being used (i've been calculating for one driver in one sub chamber) would be -3db @ 34.5hz, the suspected spl output (excluding power compression of the drivers) of each sub would be 130db powered by 1,000 watts average power to each driver. I'm probably gonna load both Delta 218 subs with RCF drivers and then use bridged QSC PLX2502 or maybe RMX2450 amps on each sub so I have a little headroom.
 Post Reply Post Reply