Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio VRS800 18" driver recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 6:02am
just watch a "so how did they build stonehenge?" documentary hehe.

but yeah. you can roll or flip cabs around. getting thl4s onto 218s alone isn't easy but can be done without taking the full weight of them.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 9:33am
I win!

In my yooff (student days) I regularly had to get Harwell Mids and Tops, on top of 2 Martin 115, a side! My mate needed somewhere to store them, and in return, I got to use them. This is the same mate who managed to loose a pair of Harwell bass bins.....

Leverage and flipping and leaning is your friend! Never dead lift - think wheel barrow for principle.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 10:11am
Most stacking options can be achieved with a bit of thought and brute force at times but there is usually an easy way around things--As said above never try and lift a dead weight, it is always easier to lift and swing using the cabinet weight to your advantage.
I can remember back to the seventies when we used to stack Martin Audio 115s eight high at times in certain touring size venues--Newcastle City Hall springs back in mind!!!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Most stacking options can be achieved with a bit of thought and brute force at times but there is usually an easy way around things--As said above never try and lift a dead weight, it is always easier to lift and swing using the cabinet weight to your advantage.
I can remember back to the seventies when we used to stack Martin Audio 115s eight high at times in certain touring size venues--Newcastle City Hall springs back in mind!!!

Were the double 18 bass bins vertical when you placed the VRS1000's on top of them? This would have been a tall stack and this is what I'd like to achieve.

Can't help thinking what if the speaker topples the other side when lifting it to be vertical on top of the bass bin..

Cheers, Mike

Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 10:56am
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

I win!

In my yooff (student days) I regularly had to get Harwell Mids and Tops, on top of 2 Martin 115, a side! My mate needed somewhere to store them, and in return, I got to use them. This is the same mate who managed to loose a pair of Harwell bass bins.....

Leverage and flipping and leaning is your friend! Never dead lift - think wheel barrow for principle.

Thanks, will always keep the wheel barrow principle in mind!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

just watch a "so how did they build stonehenge?" documentary hehe.

but yeah. you can roll or flip cabs around. getting thl4s onto 218s alone isn't easy but can be done without taking the full weight of them.

Watched a video on youtube as you suggested. Amazing what can be done with some thought. Now to flip and roll.

Cheers, Mike
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 4:03pm
LOL
I have a lot of experience in this one-man stacking also, I also tumble the speakers on other boxes or racks and tilt them around in a way so they end with bottom down (or raise them correct when up)

Another choice you might consider is splitting them!
Works fine for tms-4s
Keep in mind to keep the bass-horn part intact as this has to be 100% strong, then glue a board onto the high-mid part, in the tms-4s they're not part of the rear-chamber.

I don't know if this can be done with these boxes also, sure makes things easier.
You can use a hand-roundsaw and make a "stencil" to drive it along (sorry bad english in a rush, hope u guess what I mean LOL)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 11:29pm
I ended up going with the RCF L18S801. All I can say is that it is an amazing combination in this box. A very quick driver with insane kick and decent lower bass. totally pleased. Thanks for your help all!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123