Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

low power draw issue to void infinite 8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmx42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: low power draw issue to void infinite 8
    Posted: 05 December 2016 at 9:26am
Hey everyone, 

on the weekend i had a void infinite 8v2 powering 4 void v1000's (2 per channel) 

when first sound checked everything was spot on however after a while for some reason the output was horrendously low. max current the amp was pulling would only reach about 1amp max. 

turning gain up to the output had minimal effect and turning the amp up also had minimal effect up to the point the amp would start clipping. 

in the rack there was also a infinite 8 v1 powering another 4 1000w drivers coping fine only turned up about half way and a few powerlights on top duty also working fine

everything wired into distro fed by a 32amp outlet and the only rig on the circuit. 

once i got home wired the amp up to try and recreate the problem but was absolutely fine and could pull far more amps (connected to a 13amp feed) 

the amp also ran absolutely fine the weekend before with the same cabling from a 32amp feed.

in the end i just had to accept that bass output would have to be low  for the rest of the night Thumbs Down

any ideas what could have caused this? 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 1:28pm
did you meter your mains?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 1:53pm
Yes, sounds like classic voltage droop. Have you checked your distro? You may have a loose connection/bad contact somewhere.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
empiresoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote empiresoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 1:49pm
Were you loaded onto a ring that had fridges? I did one venue where my old 8v2 hated one outlet, traced it back to aload of fridges compressing - trailed some H07 and put it on a 16a feed instead (which was full of spiders), and the problem went. Aye, a V+A would be good, I know the 8v2 has an ammeter built in, but I found it a bit 'steppy'; and some folk have gone as far as to say that it's not that accurate. 

Have toyed with a proper ammeter by Olson, that has an RJ45 on it - very smooth program bundled with it called OlsonLoad Smile
Failed DJ and fumbling through the world of pro audio. Give me a thumb and make me feel better:
www.facebook.com/empireAVWorks
 Post Reply Post Reply