Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cartridge + stylus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cartridge + stylus
    Posted: 17 December 2016 at 1:05pm
Hello

I'm looking for some recommendations for cheap'ish cartridges for my decks. I need to get a set as the old ones that came with the decks don't match and are probably damaging my vinyls (they look crap and sound nasty).

Does anyone have any ideas where i can get some for around the £40 mark for a pair? Or if this is unrealistic, what would be?

I play techno/house/dance and only mix, no scratching or anything fancy.

Any help?

Cheers
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 3:36pm
Fork out a little extra and get Shure M447s. Best needles I've ever used and I don't use anything else since trying them out!

If you really can't afford to spend more than £40 then maybe just get new styluses/tips

Edited by KingGwarn - 17 December 2016 at 3:36pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the reply.

£130 for a pair of carts is far too much for me unfortunately. Surely there must be a decent make/model in the middling price range.

I only use vinyl at home, basically for practicing mixing and having fun.

Would I be better off getting s/h headshell and cartridges and then buying the styli new seperately?

Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 6:07pm
I've found a pair of S/H Orforton Concorde Pro S for £75. Are these a good buy at that price?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 3:33pm
Regarding the M44-7s - they're good for DJs but I prefer the M44-Gs personally. For just listening I've been using the Shure M97xe.

I don't know what the market's like these days but I imagine Stanton 500v3 is a good economical option.

I would only buy second hand if I knew I was going to replace the styluses too, they wear out.
empiresoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote empiresoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 11:28am
Stanton 500v3/Tonar Banana/Shure M447 all ones I enjoyed. Tonar 3600 C carts are good with Technics headshells, if you're really on a tight budget the QTX are a close copy of the Technics headshell, not sure on the quality of the connecting pins and flyleads though, can be a bit fiddly when swapping them out. 
Failed DJ and fumbling through the world of pro audio. Give me a thumb and make me feel better:
www.facebook.com/empireAVWorks
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 12:10pm
don't skimp on your cartridges if you value your vinyl collection! Bite the bullet and get some decent cartridges each with a new, fresh stylus. If you can't afford two, buy one and start saving for another one. 
The old saying applies: "poor people can't afford to buy cheap" because of "buy cheap, buy twice"

Nothing ruins your records faster than a damaged stylus! 

Ortofon Concordes are simple and fun because you don't have to manually align the cart. Just attach it and off you go…. but some people bash Concordes. If you go for a headshell mounted cartridge on the other hand you have to learn to align the cartridge properly.
There is no easy way out of this. People tend to underestimate the mechanical delicacy of vinyl playback. It has tradeoffs everywhere. Want a robust cartridge for scratching and back cueing? high Output? It will be at the expense of sound quality……. Ouch

I have the impression that Stanton 500s should be affordable and plentiful in the UK? (+ cheap replacement styli available)

Post Reply Post Reply