Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom mobile project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afterall66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom mobile project
    Posted: 20 December 2016 at 4:51am
Finally time to go crazy and build my own custom project, so I welcome myself to this great forum.
Please tell me what you think or where i go wrong..

My project is personal, mobile, cheap and must be suitable for disco and small gigs in-car and out-doors.
The trouble is, my amps are 4ohm and have very little space, so i'm very limited.

3way setup
- Cubo 12 [no issues here I hope,  enough power available 325w or 1kw]
- Midrange 8" cabinets [interesting part - 175w]
- High's [no issues here, will be exchangeable - 50w]
All will be analog/maybe digital, but, actively crossed.

For your information, me no car spl freak, just trying to achieve a multi-purpose system.
There will be sq enough in the front of the car.
However.. in the back of this car I like to build something that gives the old disco sound and must be able to plug in a live performer.

Starting with the mids because someone said above 120 Hz you don't need vented cabinets.
Would like some opinions here because I've worked with several mids that where vented, so won't it decrease my power or 'disco sound color' to much if I go sealed in this setup ?

Found a great couple of lightweight mids..
- 18sound 8NMB420 4ohm http://www.eighteensound.it/print/ProdID=68
- B&C 8NDL51 4ohm http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/lf-driver/8-0/4/8ndl51-4
Both look very nice for the purpose, but can't really decide what is wise, it could be I got it all wrong.

The 18sound 8NMB420 has great Frequency Range 60 ÷ 5500Hz and Sensitivity 95db
but is AES 280 watts.
The B&C 8NDL51 starts with 200 watts but gives  70 ÷ 3000Hz and Sensitivity 94db
Mids will be driven by 175 old school watts and crossing is able from about 2000Hz.
Also, what would be a great hp frequency to cross for this setup ? Can buy another sub driver later on to match.
The old mids now in use seem to react a lot better without hp instead of crossing about 80Hz or higher.

Should I go for the specs or the watts ? Then again, which of both will give me more disco sound ?
Also limited is the enclosure, it can't exceed about 25 liters or 0.88 ft3 per cabinet.

Every input/idea/discussion appreciated Star

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2016 at 12:01am
To be honest I think that both the Watts and the specs (you mentioned) give a wrong impression of what driver to choose.

Personally I would go for the 18Sound and put it in a ported cabinet, tuned to 60 - 100 Hz. A crossover to the high driver at 2 - 2.5 kHz, leaves you with plenty of decent sounding 1" that don't break the bank. You might even want to try the 18Sound 8" kit: http://www.eighteensound.it/Enclosure-Design
The B&C doesn't seem that great for ported cabinets, so you would have to go for closed whether you want it or not. That might work out well but it might also lack in the 80 - 100 Hz area.

Personally I like to go for a small overlap in small systems to add some power in the frequency range where you want it. So the Cubo 12 with a high pass at 40 - 50 Hz and a low pass at 90 - 120 Hz. The 8" with a high pass at the tuning frequency of the ported cabinet.

Regards
Afterall66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afterall66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2017 at 4:44pm
Thanks a lot for the reply, ported it is. Now to work ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply