Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to choose best power amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zazigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to choose best power amplifier
    Posted: 14 January 2017 at 9:37pm
Hello every one,
please help, I have bought some speakers as on the picture to build soundsystem,
all I know the subs are probably PD 1850 - Precision Devices sub bass drivers.

Can you please help me and advice what is the best power amplifiers config for that set?
How to measure and how to choose proper stuff step by step?
I would prefer to not to dismantle the speakers as it will not be easy.

Any help and suggestions highly appreciated! Thanks!
Greg I&I

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 2:17am
You need to figure out a bit more about your speakers like do the tops need to be bi-amplified or can they be run with a single amp channel. With that known then a good starting point would be amplifiers capable of 1000w into each sub and 500w for each top but you could double that if you want to get every last dB of output they're capable of, and you will also need some processing to get the most out of the system and protect the drivers so add a DSP processor to the list or consider getting amplifiers with built-in DSP.

Edited by Conanski - 15 January 2017 at 6:37pm
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 7:31am
Hi Z ,  pull the grilles of of them, pull the drivers out and see what y got,     post details n pics here and is there any crossover built into those tops?
hth
Will
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2017 at 9:32pm
Looks like a CVA sub, they use those corners and the half box pan folding of grills.. If so 1850 tuned to 50hz predominately used in Luminar Leisure venues. They make a great all round cab but can be badly made boxes with no bracing. Easy to rectify though.  Is the back connector recessed a long way in? You in UK?
It's everything, not everythink!
zazigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zazigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2017 at 8:58pm
Yes I am in Leicester, thanks for all advices and sorry for being silent,

I did some more research and inside there are:
  1. PD.1850 drivers (2x 800W)
  2. PD.153 ER mids (2x 300W)
  3. PA BM-D450 horns (2x 60W)
Mids and horns are connected through crossovers what I have also learned Wink

My question is what is the best config to power up all those speakers? 
Do I need any other devices than the amps?
Can I use one QSC RMX 5050 amp to run all those speakers or it will not be enough?

What do you think about such config:

QSC RMX 5050 spec

The back connectors:

Many thanks for all your help!!!!
Greg

osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2017 at 9:32pm
You will need four channels of amp. Two to subs and two to tops

If u wanna go cheap, inuke 4-6000 and dcx2496

Bit more expensive my recommendation if u in UK, sae pqm8 and dcx2496(i have sae pxm not tried pqm tho)

Then you will have x-overs, limiters and basic equalizer to make your system sound good if dialed right

Cross your subs at approx 100 hz and let your tops take over from there however I don't know the natural roll-off of the specific box/driver combo so this can vary quite a bit. Dial a low cut filter at your subs to save the drivers too!
 Post Reply Post Reply