Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new budget system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ostrichmilkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new budget system
    Posted: 19 January 2017 at 3:07am
hey guys

been a while since i was last on here

just moved out to Australia and had to leave my beloved boom box behind and its making me sad. 

thinking of building a new one but on a pretty serious budget this time. 

thinking the cheapest way would be to just buy some old hifi speakers and nick the drivers and crossovers out of them and probably use a sla 12v battery for power

the question is, what amp should i use ? is the old lepai ta2020 still my best bet ?

found this on ausi ebay that seems to fit the bill but its worryingly cheap and im wandering if anyone can vouch for it or if anyone knows of a decent cheap amp board that will run a couple of bookshelves. or even a mono amp that would just run one but really well. ??? 

probably a much asked question but any advice would be mega appreaciated 

cheers guys 
work like a dog party like animal
ostrichmilkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ostrichmilkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 3:25am
liking the look of this bad boy

any knowledge on how the ta2021 stacks up against the ta2020 ?

also could do with some help getting my head around 

A: making a circuit that will automatically turn off the system when the voltage drops too low

B: being able to charge and use the boom box at the same time without interference, (thinking of making it solar powered at some point)

Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 10:08am
Dont know if they ship to Aus, but take a look at Accusafe's products, they have a battery protect board, and a maxamp, that uses less then ta2020 and gives more watt.
And it's tiny, really tiny.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ostrichmilkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 2:21am
Awesome ill have a look mate cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ostrichmilkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 2:22am
Awesome ill have a pool cheers. Have you heard it in use what sort of drivers was it running ???
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 8:08am
I have tested it on Electro Voice sx200, and that sounded good, i have it put up to some Argon hifi speakers at my work, and that sound pretty good aswell, many people use it in the boominator.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 9:09am
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Jaycar have a couple of options for battery cut-out,

Don't know anything about that unit - but IMHO its preferable to just build in a cheapie voltmeter and monitor the battery voltage manually ..... (much cheaper also).

If your battery is anything other than in perfect nick - it will have a significant internal resistance - which in turn means voltage will drop on a heavy bass note/kick drum/other peak in signal - which might well trigger the cut-off when the battery still has useable capacity.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ostrichmilkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 6:23pm
As you say in the past i just opted for a volt meter so I may well just do that l. Hadn't thought about that its a good point and another reason to just stick with the cheaper option.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 6:36pm
Some of those digital numeric displays can consume up to 20-30 mA - which doesn't sound much - but it could easily be as much as the idle current of a class D chip-amp.

On my best setup I have a momentary-contact microswitch to only enable the VM on the fly.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
 Post Reply Post Reply