Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SBH heat sink for uprated neo drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmx42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SBH heat sink for uprated neo drivers
    Posted: 19 January 2017 at 9:52am
Hi there, 

i have some void v1400 neo drivers to trial in some sbh cabs.  

my concern is that there is no means of external cooling on a sbh design. i have done alot of research into neodymium before making this move, i'm not worried about the lower curie temperature (where total magnetism loss is met) to ferrite as i am sure the cabs would start to burn before these kind of temperatures could be reached. 

but what i am worried about is the loss of magnetism over time from extended periods of use at higher temperatures. 

if its decided to stick with the neo drivers i have been toying with the idea of adding a heat sink on either side of rear chamber around the red circle in the picture below. 

just wandering what any of you cab builders think of this? would this actually add any benefit to cooling and the longevity of the drivers? 

thanks in advance Smile

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2017 at 12:35pm
I wouldn't bother, unless you're making a heat pipe to mate into the driver's magnet vent (really expensive and tricky to fit) it makes very little measurable difference. You still have a relatively large volume of sealed air between the magnet and the outside world.

Have a look here for an idea:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/17535.html

http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/17652.html
http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/17467.html

The cabs will not burn when the magnet reaches problematic temperatures though, wood is a good insulator. That said, I have never, ever seen a neo driver demagnetise despite absolutely pasting some of them. You'll cook coils long before that happens.

Edited by toastyghost - 19 January 2017 at 12:38pm
bmx42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmx42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2017 at 8:09am
Thanks Toasty that's reassuring and certainly saves me some time! interesting read on the heat exchanger idea too Thumbs Up
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2017 at 9:18am
This form of cooling still doesn't protect your drivers the way you want. It's still not efficient enough. 
It doesn't remove the heat quickly enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply