Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any opinions on this tapped horn?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any opinions on this tapped horn?
    Posted: 30 January 2017 at 3:49pm
http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/th-2/the-mivoc-30hz-tapped-horn/
been looking for a sub for a home system to put under main speakers and i found this design...........
any thoughts on whether a pair of these would do a decent job???LOL
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 4:19pm
I never get this, horns for home stuff, horns add volume, create, "throw" and compromise real theater low end. Surely Reflex is going to give you everything needed?  Even theaters use reflex, was even Opus's mainstay.
It's everything, not everythink!
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 4:34pm
i dont htink any theatre type stuff will get used on it, mostly just nasty tekno and some jungle probably, reflex might do it but not realy sure if it would be loud enough or that we can get a reflex cab down to 30hz on this sort of budget, saying that the drivers fs is 31 so i guess if we got like 4 of them might be an option, also want to be able to take them out and do bbq/smaller parties with tem so i dont have to drag a load of 186 horns out [which dont go very low either.
deffo no theatre tho i have no intention of getting a tv lol
any cheap semi decent reflex designs out there then?
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 5:56pm
Im just learning but is it me doesn't that response looks a bit iffy.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 5:59pm
not too sure tbh not had any experience with tapped horns yet not sure if it would flatten with multiples either, unfortunately the 6" tham htl or whatever its called seems hard to find as well... not sure if it realy gets as low as i want either tbh lol
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 7:16pm
It might not be an ideal driver/horn match but incl. usual room gain it should be pretty much flat indoors, some room issues should be filtered anyways so eq at least should be available anyways too :)

its a nice low budget sub.. theres another one on diy audio i think, very cheap driver quite capable in large/low tapped horn, pretty sure i have seen more takes on such low budget designs online
(it all depends on required spl, bandwidth and size/price restrictions imo)

if you want to go really low with authority even in singles you might want to take a look at the gjaller or othorn for example. not the most sensitive nor cheap but theres always a downside innit..

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2017 at 7:39pm
i think wed be looking to try and cover 30-80ish hz roughly and some outdoor ability might be handy as id like to be able to use it like i said for very small outdoor parties.
reflex is deffo a possibility but im doubting whether id get enough output but i might be wrong there lol. you say theres another cheapish design out there??? 
size is not realy an issue tbh neither is processing but i suppose i gotta at least pretend to be sensible here lol dont mind using a pair or even 4 if needed but i doubt id be able to blag using all four in the house tho... saying that ive nearly got away with dragging the 186 horns into the lounge before but i doubt id get away with trying again lol
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:09pm
Looking at hornresp chars of this tapped horn I have doubts if its more effective than br Confused
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2017 at 3:13am
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I never get this, horns for home stuff, horns add volume, create, "throw" and compromise real theater low end. Surely Reflex is going to give you everything needed?  Even theaters use reflex, was even Opus's mainstay.

Well yes and no, a tapped horn is different and an excellent choice for home theatre because it gets low in relatively small space and has low distortion when designed well.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:24pm
re. homecinema, have a look at what some gents in the US use.. Gjallerhorn for example, a really low tuned tapped horn, seems to do the business if you want mad lowend at very hig spl :)
Of course you could put the same driver in a huge closed box+eq the hell out of it but at costs of spl and efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOgErtNRA7c
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 9:19pm
exactly what toasty was saying tbh the idea was to get a fair bit of wobbly low end not needing huge spl tbh just thought it might be something i can take out every so often with like 10 mates and go chill in the woods with as well as annoying the neighbours at home lol 
 Post Reply Post Reply