Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen0me TH12. 12BG100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen0me TH12. 12BG100
    Posted: 06 February 2017 at 10:48pm
Why choose this driver?
18" Tapped horns I know usually have smaller excursion than Xmax. It means that such huge Sd/Xmax is getting wasted for expensive driver. What goes further large driver needs large box. For my set of goals much larger. The enclosure will be huge. Forklift truck huge. This one is 450dm net volume. 12" driver reaches its excursion limits close to its rated power. Although after many simulations I think 15" driver will be better for tapped horn and very close to using its 100% potential.

Why this tapped horn is better then others?

First go purple mountains. Simply usefull range is more effective then not usefull. Hornresps I find on the internet has this problem. Even Danleys...
Second: mine has 3 small mountains in usefull bandwitch instead of 2. It means more detailed sound.

Lastly - green mountain. Bass horns with this mountains has high effectivity rise with stacking multiple horns.
Ofc in costs of complexity of build.
f3: 2pc, halfspace - 37Hz.
f3: 4pc, halfspace - 34Hz.
Here are the plans.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5y23T8xURtGRFV4b05xTUloY00
As usually its free design for non-commercial use. For commercial use - contact me.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 6:58pm
genome,
those "purple mountains" are way out of the usable passband and show resonances rather than useful output..

Othorn is almost same size as yours and loaded with a 21" thats capable of quite some more displacement and normally thats all that matters. Max SPL is limited by xmax clearly, the more the better, smaller/cheaper drivers might work but at the cost of SPL.

Btw., looking at those construction "plans" i highly doubt your sims are correct to start with tbh.

gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2017 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

genome,
those "purple mountains" are way out of the usable passband and show resonances rather than useful output..

Yes so it is disadventage if they are louder than usefull bandwitch.

B&C 12BG100:
X-max:10.5mm
X-var: 14mm
B&C 21SW152-4
X-max: 15mm
X-var: 16mm
So here is comparison of Othorn vs TH12.

¬255£ vs ¬555"£
Concerning costs of enclosure there wont be as huge difference price. More on the amps side 3600W vs 1000W
Anyway looks like for very existence of this box It should be simplified.

Dont worry about driver being far from end of enclosure, it is part of this design. Also the l12  is ¬40cm. Not typical but I saw that one earlier on the designs.

And a little ot.
Does Othorn kick?

Is it even possible to put filter weak enough to use this kick with Othorn purple mountains?

Edited by gen0me - 11 February 2017 at 1:35pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2017 at 3:30pm
You were right last part has wrong expansion.
 Post Reply Post Reply