Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18sound horn
    Posted: 13 February 2017 at 7:42pm
hello all...

I've been looking at some 18Sound horns to be used on a mid top speaker project I'll work on.

In particular the model 
18 Sound XT120
Eliptical Constant Coverage Horn Lens Flare
Size: 1" throat
Coverage: 90H x 60V
Frequency Response: 1.6-20kHz
Material: Injection Molded Polyurethane
Crossover Frequency: 1500Hz

being made of PU plastic material, one of the questions I have is if I will need to brace the horn with the compression driver because of the overall weight. 
The whole thing will be supported just by the bolts on the horn border on the baffle...

also...on the 18sound specs sheet it states that these horn have been designed to match their 18sound com drivers. I guess that they would fit also other 1" bolt on drivers , anyone has had experience with it  ?

thank you !
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2017 at 7:56pm
Bracing or supporting the compression driver is probably necessary regardless of the flare material: The weight of the unsupported driver at the end of the horn will lever the t-nuts/screws/nails out of the baffle long before the flare fatigues.

If you're using timy neo drives, less reason to bother.

Most horn fittings (2, 3 or 4 bolt) are interchangeable with the same bolt pattern. Some manufacturers like to list a 0.1 or 0.2mm difference to encourage use of same brand, but this is rarely an issue - file the holes out if needed.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 13 February 2017 at 7:57pm
sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 5:40pm
thank I-Shen for confirming this...I'm going to add an internal panel with a hole the size of the comp driver, sort of an internal baffle looking piece and a couple of triangular bracing at the bottom of it.
The driver will sit inside the whole and its weight supported...it should work.

bless !
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:23am

Edited by _djk_ - 17 February 2017 at 1:48am
djk
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:53pm
the xt120 most likely will work with other comps, might be they are optimized to work best with 18s 1"s though due to matching Horn entry angles and comp exit angles..

Using small`ish neo comps wont do much harm to such a short horn i bet, for peace of mind you could brace it but not necessary imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply