Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A tale of 2 speaker cabinets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tale of 2 speaker cabinets
    Posted: 14 February 2017 at 1:09pm
Newb question time, apologies.
Im restarting DJing (small 'club classics' nights using my own gear). 
I have a pair of Dare DC600 bins (single 15" but according to Dare are 'dual chamber isobaric' (which from my limited knowledge would suggest it should be dual 15s?)) and also a pair of EV GSS15XR (bass reflex).
Originally I was intending to run these both together, same frequency.
My question, would I get an issue mix and matching the above, or for simplicity sake should I just roll out the DC600s and leave the EVs at home (or for smaller gigs, being as they are easier to transport than the Dares)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 10:24pm
Don't mix these boxes they will not play well together.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Don't mix these boxes they will not play well together.

Thanks, that was the way I was thinking, but being new to this there is so much to learn! Back in my younger days more speakers = "power", but I now know this is not the case
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 9:41pm
Any recommendations for boxes that will complement the DC600s? (apart from another set of DC600s!)
patryk1305 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patryk1305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:27pm
Never mix different types of cabs. You should not even mix different reflex subwoofers (different tuning, etc) as it will do more bad than good. So to answer your question, NONE. Only another pair of the same would be an improvement.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 11:53pm
copy the boxes you already have and match the drivers.

more of the same. don't mix. just more of the same.

you want scalability!! that way if they need a little EQ it will have the correct effect across all the bins.

same with amps... try to get all your bass amps to match. not only for simplicity but also redundancy. then there's little or no messing with the LMS if you need to switch out amps or daisy chain them.

you want bigger and louder just go for "more of the same"
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2017 at 9:18pm
Back to the books for me Embarrassed
Thanks both, this WILL stick in my mind at some point in the future, have speaker envy at the minute, but I need to learn to walk before I run Approve
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:58pm
Thinking aloud on this one.
What is around along the same lines of the DC600s which is around the same size/spec?
Would building my own Cubos be worthwhile (as a replacement for the Dares) that way I can build 2, sell the Dares, then build another 2.
As I say, just thinking aloud, happy to throw ideas around or to be told back to the drawing board.
Would like to retain my Ohm RW3's for the minute (I have x4 of these currently) as im using these for tops on the (to me) bigger rig when it goes out (and retaining these gives me various options for doing mobiles)
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 4:00pm
I have a pair of cubo15s....
I'm in London and could do with the space!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply