Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Amps For Which Boxes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Amps For Which Boxes?
    Posted: 16 February 2017 at 2:25am
Having finally somewhat decided on what boxes are going to be used in our first rig, we went into it with no real plans so ended up with bits and pieces and now not sure on what amps should be used and where.

We have the following amps;
Australian Monitor SY1200
Australian Monitor SY1600
Australian Monitor IS1600
Australian Monitor AM1600
Australian Monitor AM3002 x2
QSC 1500a x2
PEAK Audio USA-1200
Crown Macro-Tech 5002v2 (broken but willing to have repaired)
Crown xs700 (also broken, repairs pending on what is broken, came with the Macro-tech at a very good price)

We have the choice of these processors;
Turbosound LMS-D24
DBX Driverack PA2

And finally our 'rig' is composed of the following;
Sub - 4x EV TL440 style 18" loaded with RCF L18 G401
Low - 4x Dual 15" loaded with JBL 2226j - Not sure who made the boxes, they are almost exactly the same as the sub boxes just dual 15
Mid/Tops - 4x Wharfedale Pro LX-15

My current thoughts are; 
AM3002's on sub duty, running a box per channel
AM1600 and IS1600 on lows
SY1600 on mid/tops 

Any advice would be appreciated, size and weight restrictions not really in play as it's not a system that'll be lugged out and used every weekend.

Edit: Worth noting I'm in Western Australia so good equipment secondhand is few and far between and new equipment is very $$$ for non-pro's.

Edited by enyxr - 16 February 2017 at 2:35am
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:05am
Update: We're going to do a sound-test in about a month's time where we'll be able turn it up to real-world volumes. Any advice before then would be much appreciated as this will be our first full set up.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:11am
IMO you got too many 15's or not enough subs and highs so I'd suggest stacks that consist of a pair of 18's, a single dual 15, and then a pair of tops. Run the 18s from whatever they are tuned to up to 100hz, run the dual 1r5s from 100-500hz and the tops from there up, and power everything appropriately for the genre of music.
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:39am
I agree with you although of late I have noticed a lot of sound systems around here are really lacking in the low/mid-bass sections and we'll be playing a lot of psy-trance/broken beat genres through them so I figured we may as well try utilise all 4 boxes and tackle the lack of subs problem a little later down the track.
Our current layout thoughts are to have the subs stacked on their sides 2 high 
the double 15s on each side of these with the tops on top of those, as seems to be the way it goes with this stuff we have decided we're going to build 4 new 15"+2 boxes, utilising the 4 spare 15" drivers we have which were pulled out of some EAW MQV1364 boxes by the looks of it and the JBL2445 and 2385s we have on hand.

Crossover points are still to be tested but our thoughts at the moment are;
Sub (18s) - 27ish - 80
Low/Mids (double 15s) - 80 - 300
Mid/tops (??) - 300 up

Although the JBL2226 should have no problems playing up to reach the 2445s so we could just build boxes for those and run those ontop of the double 15s instead of a full range box?

Another thought is to run it with the subs covering a very small range (27 - 45) and the double 15s taking over from there, but I'm not sure if this would sound any good.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 9:25pm
I have a system consisting of double 18s subs with double 15+2" boxes on top, crossovers are 80-120hz and 800-1khz and the 15s sound very good running up to meet the 2" CDs like that, I do have some parametric EQ applied in the DCX though. Those 2226s wont have any problem going as high as this too.

I find it's better to give drivers some range to work with but it's also important to give drivers with larger voice coils like the 2226 some bass to keep the coils moving and cooling.. otherwise you risk overheating the portion of the coils that are outside the gap and they can burn open at well below rated power.  The light weight 15's in your tops will work better with a higher crossover though as they probably don't have as long a voice coil.

Edited by Conanski - 20 February 2017 at 9:31pm
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 3:14am

Here are our current layout thoughts
Red = 18" RCF LF18G401
Yellow = 15" JBL2226
Blue/Green = Boxes comprised of a JBL2445 and JBL2385

Any input appreciated and definitely interested in opinions on what amps should be used for which boxes, we'll be using our DBX Driverack PA2 for processing
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:37am
As is how it goes with more research I have basically scrapped the ideas in the post above.
I also have put some effort into learning how to use winisd and am finding the boxes I was planning to use the lf18g401's in are waaaay too big. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably simple BR to suit these drivers? Would like as much low end extension as possible. 
I have found out the 2x15 boxes I have are based on the EV-TL606dw design and are tuned to ~37hz give or take so won't have any problems going down low to meet the subs. 
Our stack above the subs for now will be 2 of the 2x15s and 2 LX-15s, single stack for now until we have more subs then we'll likely do two of these stacks.
 Post Reply Post Reply