Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Port tuning measurements.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Port tuning measurements.
    Posted: 22 February 2017 at 11:04am
I've got the ply and am making sawdust on Saturday. Which makes me realise I've no idea how to tune them.

Is there a guide somewhere (on here or elsewhere) to using room eq wizard for port measurements? Preferably for beginners.

I've googled it and while there's loads of stuff on REW i can't see where to start on focused stuff for port tuning.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 2:18pm
Look up how to take an impedance measurement with REW, you will need a resistor of known value (I suggest 10 Ohms as a good start) and USB soundcard, external USB is a good choice. Little bit of wiring later and you will have your plot. The value of the resistor is not critical for determining your tuning, as you are just looking for the minimum value of impedance between the two resonance peaks of a vented system.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 9:03pm
Better to use impedance than a mic?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:18am
If you want to measure where it is tuned, impedance is what you need as there is no ambiguity and it is an easier measurement. Mic measurements are definitely of interest, but they are harder to do right and are of more use when you are interested in polar response or acoustical crossover slopes.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2017 at 10:02pm
Ok. Thanks very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply