Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a system for a warehouse rave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr36654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a system for a warehouse rave
    Posted: 28 February 2017 at 2:10pm
Me and a few buddies are planning a rave we plan to throw in an abandoned warehouse, advertised thru flyers and word of mouth but strictly offline like in the good 'ol days. Obviously this is illegal but if that doesn't rustle your jimmies please continue reading.

I'm admittedly more of a musician than an engineer but I have my share of experience building and understanding sound tech as a former roadie for a few bands. The system we need to build is catered toward techno and house and ideally could provide enough volume for a building about the size of a Home Depot back storage warehouse.

I've looked mostly into the PD 1850 sub bass horns and the MT 102 mids. Some videos I've seen on youtube make it look like 4 of the PD 1850 bass bins and two of the MT 102s would provide a ton of volume, but I wouldn't be against rounding it out a bit. I'm figuring putting aside about $8000 USD in the next year for this, to account for buying an amp and other miscellaneous expenses.

What do you experts think would be a good set of speakers to build, a suitable amp and anything else i need to know?
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 2:30pm
MT102 will struggle to meet the 1850 at a good crossover point.

I always saw it as MT102 with HD15, 1850 with MT122.

4 bass 2 mid/top is a good ratio.

This website was started way back when the used Pro Audio market was strong, thus it was cheaper to build you own cabs. I am not sure about in the US but in the UK this is no longer the case and you can pick up ex rental kit for peanuts. It may cost you less and be a lot less hassle just buying something from the second hand market and you would get a turn key system.

The illegal bit makes it all the more fun!

Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 2:43pm
Good previous advice.
I have two points to add:
1) You will need more power than you think in a Warehouse.
2) When you set up your rig DO NOT set it up parallel with the far wall. Angle it, and reduce reflections. Reflections are a sod in warehouses.

Enjoy!
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
jr36654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr36654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 2:45pm
Thanks, you may very well be right. The drivers alone for the 6 units I mentioned could cost in excess of $3000, the scrap for building the cabs wouldn't be much but it's intimidating.

I'm not sure about renting because I'm afraid of the liability issues, but I could get some second hand units, use them once or twice, then simply re-sell them under pretense of "only having used them once or twice." At least that way I may get a return of some sort.

That said the DIY element was also part of the fun, I work 60 hours a week so I'll be able to save enough.

EDIT: Re: power, the above mentioned units are like 1000W max i believe. I am not sure about technical specifics so i do not know if that is sufficient. Re reflections, would you also advise sound insulation in the spots where there could be an issue?

Something like this would be enough - not sure how much something like this would cost to rig up though.

Edited by jr36654 - 28 February 2017 at 2:47pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 3:00pm
i bet there some "free party rigs" round yours aswell, why not "work" together with them instead of spending money on a one single event? Surely that would be more "old skool" aswell :)
jr36654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr36654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:21pm
Absolutely, collaboration is a big part of it. Finding people passionate about the music is key, obviously there are risks involved but those who agree to participate are accepting them. Life's short lol. Going to try Craigslist > musicians but obviously am being careful about anonymity.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:02pm
build 4 cubo 18's, 4 cubo kicks and buy some decent tops. Simple build and solid techno rig for cheap.
jr36654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jr36654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:40pm
That  sounds reasonable. Figure about 3k for the drivers, a few hundred for lumber and add some more for a few PA spkr tops and an amp and I think a decent earth thumping rig could be had for ~5k
 Post Reply Post Reply