Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eminence ring radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2017 at 3:52pm
Unlike the classic dome shaped cone, ring radiators use polyester rings to produce sound.
As you can see from the picture the voice coil is in the middle if the ring, so the cone extends to both sides of the vc. This gives it combined surface area much greater then what first initial idea about the size is when you read the the vc size.
So per instance then BSM4550 is declared as 1 inch driver, but it is nothing like a 1 inch driver.
The surface area of the cone is comparable with 2.9 inch dome shaped cone.
As it is not one big round surface, cone breakup happens on much higher frequencies and the distorsions are way lower.
Polyester gives it much more flexibility, so it can go lower then most 3inch dome shaped titanium/aluminium cone drivers.

Edited by MarjanM - 05 March 2017 at 3:52pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:36am
Good day Marjan, Many thanks for the wonderful explanation. The picture says it all. Thanks once again.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:20pm
It's available on Blue Aran now

any experiences? Andy where art thou? Tongue
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the photo + explanation Marjan Smile

One thing I'm wondering when comparing to (for example) the PSD2002. If you look at the impedance curves, the PSD2002 has a higher resistance through most of it's playing range. I don't understand the science well enough, but it seems that putting 2.83V into the N151M uses more power than putting the same across the PSD2002, therefore this accounts for some of the difference in sensitivity.

Here's the graph for the PSD2002-8:

And the N151M-8:

If I've understood right, this would mean while the RCF ND1411-M (http://www.rcf.it/products/precision-transducers/neodymium-compression-drivers/nd1411-m) is less sensitive than the Eminence N151M on paper, the reality wouldn't be so different, because the Emi required ~1.45W to produce 111dB whereas the RCF required ~1.14W to do 109dB.

Edited by darkmatter - 24 July 2017 at 4:47pm
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:31pm
Without the Di of the horn used for the graphs, it's kind of meaningless.

We really need the terminated tube graph.
djk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:04am

Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

They have ripped off BMS 4538. And they failed to make it sparkle. 

Eminence tends to cater for the Rock & Roll market so “Sparkle” is not the main objective for their customers as they tend to despise sibilance. It offers the same -10 dB drop from 10 kHz to 20 kHz as drivers costing more.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:58am

Excellent observation Elliot. The same applies to their Neo compression drivers. I recently bought a Eminence N 320 T compression driver and mounted it on a H2EA horn. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed with the high end response.  Your words " as Eminence tends to cater for the Rock & Roll market so “Sparkle” is not the main objective for their customers they tend to despise sibilance. It offers the same -10 dB drop from 10 kHz to 20 kHz" ring true. I need to boost the PEQ / EQ by at least 8 - 10 DB from 10 KHZ -  17 KHZ to make it "sparkle".

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by thirtha thirtha wrote:

Excellent observation Elliot. The same applies to their Neo compression drivers. I recently bought a Eminence N 320 T compression driver and mounted it on a H2EA horn. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed with the high end response.  Your words " as Eminence tends to cater for the Rock & Roll market so “Sparkle” is not the main objective for their customers they tend to despise sibilance. It offers the same -10 dB drop from 10 kHz to 20 kHz" ring true. I need to boost the PEQ / EQ by at least 8 - 10 DB from 10 KHZ -  17 KHZ to make it "sparkle".

That is how I judge Compression Drivers. The Market is saturated with compression drivers taking a nose dive above 10 kHz. You may find this old thread interesting...

A Compression Driver Flat From 10kHz to 20 kHz

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
thirtha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 2:36am
Thanks for that link Elliot, made for a very interesting read. How about the precision devices PD.CD2N? The frequency response is not ruler flat, but it's active to 20K.
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:38am
please correct me if I am wrong but, this is what happened to me. I was buying horn after horn trying to get that nice hf. In the end I gave up and made my own. now my system sounds so much better. I really think you need a really good horn with the 1 inch. of the shelf good horns are few and far between I think. May be wrong as I said. All that said I am now looking at the 8'' coaxial. as a hf option.
Any thoughts.? please.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

You may find this old thread interesting...

A Compression Driver Flat From 10kHz to 20 kHz 

very interesting read indeed! Thank you for the link Elliot! Clap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123