Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need Some Help with my Record Player Setup - Absol
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Help with my Record Player Setup - Absol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Some Help with my Record Player Setup - Absol
    Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:43am
Hi there,

I am just in the process of picking the best bookshelves, sub and amp for my record player setup.

At the moment, I have the Wharfedale diamond 220s in mind with a Wharfedale Diamond SW150BAV sub. I'm not so sure about what amp will go with these or whether these will work together at all! I was thinking I'd just grab a cheap second hand amp from somewhere but I'm keen to hear what you guys think about that.

I really appreciate it,

Trent

audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 11:58am
Trunt
firstly, welcome to Speakerplans.

As to which make/model of Amplifier for you to use I really don't know.

However I use a sort of similar setup here, a pair of 2 way mid/high speakers and floor mounted bass,
The speakers are currently driven by a Matrix XT500 and I have a CAudio RA3001 ready for the 2 2x 12" bass 'speakers when completed.Also a BSS crossover to split the frequency bands.

Probably complete overkill for your system, but a similar method may give you an idea.
Others on here will likely have different suggestions.

good luck with your system!

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 2:21pm
These mid tops?

Any amp you like that is about 100W per channel at 8 Ohm. Hi-fi amps if you are just playing in your house. If you want something a bit more "pro", any studio amp (no fans, the whine could drive you insane) will do.

To help drive the active sub, either "Y" split signal before the mid tops power amp, and feed a identical L+R signal to sub, or, if the sub has a line level (about 1V peak, not speaker level, which is about 35V to 200V!!) output, take its satelite outs to the amplifier for the 220s.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 3:00pm
I have a Samson Servo 550 (275 watts per channel). If you don't know it's a studio amp. I don't use it so £60.00 if you're interested.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 11:30am
Hi markie, if the op doesn't want it, I'll have it if you can ship?

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I have a Samson Servo 550 (275 watts per channel). If you don't know it's a studio amp. I don't use it so £60.00 if you're interested.
My definition of "Studio Amp" is any amp with no fan, but has big enough, passively ventilated, heatsinks to allow full power for 10 hours a day.

Others may have other qualifiers as to what makes an amp suitable for a "studio", but that would be my main discriminatory factor. Nothing more annoying than fecking fan noise, especially if your ears are good enough to be anywhere near any sort of proper Studio. Drives you nuts.

Same as background power hiss from monitors on your meter bridge - so present by proximity to ears, even when masked by signal, that it will drive you insane, or at least tire you from listening.

But yes, that Servo 550 is "Convection-cooled design eliminates fan noise".

Just remember to leave a lot of air room in the rack. I have 3 Quad 520 on my tri-amped daft hi-fi rig, and 1U above and below each one. Their heat-sinks are each side of their 2U frames. So 6U of amps takes up 10U of space, but sounds good enough to suffer the compromise.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply