Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CNC guys-best way to go from Solidworks to router?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CNC guys-best way to go from Solidworks to router?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by THECANDLEMAN THECANDLEMAN wrote:

kevin since your in Glasgow get in touch with the guys at MAKLAB

when they first opened at the lighthouse in town I joined and learnt how to use their cnc machine and was shown how to use vcarv

If you book time on the cnc machine and have a chat with the guys theyll show you the basics of whatever software (id guess something much better than vcarv now) they are using.

by the end of using the place I made about 8 norm hogs out of various types of wood then cut 12 custom hogs after learning how their machine, software and timings for the use of the space worked

The guys are really helpful and if they cant help they'll point you in a helpful direction.

Haha that's exactly the place. 

I went down for a quick chat before, earlier last year, just for a very quick look at the building they use for CNC and "big" work, though we didn't actually talk about software and details like that at that point. 

Discussing what i'd be looking to use the facilities for, funnily enough the guy was showing me that someone was already in the process of building some speakers and had a few panels cut (he'd gave me a time to visit expecting that person to be in working so I could meet them and see some of their work, though they hadn't actually made it down that day after all!). As they were quite clearly scoops, I laughed and said there was a good chance it was also someone one here, and was very possibly your work he was showing me! LOL

The immediate work I need done just now is some metal brackets for some speakers I have already built, and to maybe look at come custom grills for some speakers I have, so I'll probably join around the end of the month and get a shot of the plasma cutter first and do that, maybe also look at the laser cutter and get some stencils made for flight cases. 

Then over the summer, depending on how much work I have on that'll hopefully be when I'll get into making some proper sawdust and getting some new cabs built. 

k

THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 11:05am
my best advice is go in for a day a week or so before you need to start cutting and get the guy to show you the basics. then have a play and try and setup your designs in the software.

when they get busy you sometimes need to go for a coffee break before they can get to you for help.

Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
Ruggeddave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruggeddave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 9:16am
Try HSMXPRESS, free with a SW Licence and runs inside it. Very good bit of software, will allow you to work in 3D and will output G-code for all the standard controls.

The only thing it wont do is router specific functions such as automatic nesting, support tags, vac bed zoning etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12