Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio VRS800 Settings and purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio VRS800 Settings and purchase
    Posted: 22 March 2017 at 2:30pm
Hi,

Could someone please help me with the settings for this 3 way cabinet. Delay between bass, mid, and tops in active mode. EQ and levels too assuming same amplifier gain. I have been able to find settings for VRS 1000 but not VRS 800.

Would anyone have some any VRS800 or 1000's for sale with original drivers? Please inbox me if you do.

Thanks,

Mike
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 7:58pm
I can't find my notes at the moment so this is going to be from memory.  But I think this question has been answered here before, so you might get lucky with a search.

The HF and Mid levels should be about equal. The LF needs some gain.
A single cabinet needs about +6dB on the LF amplifier, a splayed pair or larger stack (due to LF coupling) a bit less.

The HF driver is a 2426 so it benefits from a bit of boost above 10kHz, try something like +6 at 15kHz, about an octave wide or with a Q of 1.4, (or maybe a bit wider like a Q of 1 if it sounds better).

Crossover points are 250 and 1500, 24dB Linkwitz.

I can't remember the delays but the Mid and HF obviously need around 3ft to line up with the folded horn.

HTH

ps. there were a few different settings recommended at different times - but the standard Linkwitz was much preferred to an overlap.

Edited by madboffin - 22 March 2017 at 8:08pm
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2017 at 10:58pm
Thank you very much Madoffin. I will try these settings. Greatly appreciated. Mike
Brutus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brutus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 2:15pm
those settings are in the settings file, on the martin audio website:

take a look!
;-)
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 2:26pm
Thanks Brutus, my VRS800 uses a JBL2426 1 Inch compression driver. Can you please advise whether the eq would be the same as that chart only covers the  1.4" driver? I know I should be using my ears too :)

Edited by Pinyorouk - 23 March 2017 at 2:38pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 3:43pm
You definitely won't need the narrow notch at 12k7, somebody did that to fix an odd peak in the EV driver response.

I only did the settings for the analogue crossover / controller - this was in 1986 or 87 before digital stuff became affordable. It was all done with B&K measuring kit (sweep oscillators & chart recorders) plus a TEF 10 (an early computerised measurement system). The only EQ we applied for the VRS800 was for the 2426, and as mentioned above it was just a boost at the top end.

EQ for the LF is probably a matter of taste, and don't forget that 6dB boost doubles the amplifier power required.

But the good thing about digital processors is that it's easy to make up  a few different presets and decide which you prefer.

Edited by madboffin - 23 March 2017 at 3:46pm
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:42pm
6 dB quadrouple the power!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 10:18pm
Thanks for the clarification Madboffin. Great to have someone like yourself here who worked for Martin Audio.

Edited by Pinyorouk - 23 March 2017 at 10:18pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Marko Marko wrote:

6 dB quadrouple the power!

Quite right, my apologies.

Thanks Marko.

Post Reply Post Reply